BMW Werkz banner

bmw 318i vs 2004 toyota corolla

4K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  will1506 
#1 ·
I have a 91 318i and it's got about 130 something horsepower to 140 I think correct me if I'm wrong. Has anyone every tried going heads up agaisnt a corolla with their 91 eo 318i? Because my g/f bought a new corolla and it's automatic but it still feels a lot faster than my 318ib standard although I keep that car in a tip top shape with tune ups oil changes, differtial fluids. I guess a car that is 13 years old is a little limited compared to the brand new engine.

#4 ·
u might keep up with your stick...but i doubt that

#5 ·
#7 ·
Originally posted by greenlightracer@Jun 7 2004, 02:12 PM
lol. I have the same experiance, my boyfriend has a 2001 Neon 3 speed, and he can stop faster and accelerate faster then my 325i auto :(.
so your a girl

#8 ·
Originally posted by Silver4evr@Jun 7 2004, 01:36 PM
Check out this 318i link. Engine is rate 118hp.

Check out this Corolla link. Engine is rated at 130hp at 6k rpm. So most of the hp is not usable during acceleration.

Obviously, the bimmer will handle better (if in top shape) and should win in a road race.

0 to 60? Since the bimmer is older, you would prolly just have to race. The gearing on the Toyota may give it more rapid response also from 0 to 40 or so.
i belive he has the E30.... if he does have the E36 like in the link then he wouldnt be in this section of the forums

#9 ·
Originally posted by schneider252+Jun 7 2004, 03:28 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (schneider252 @ Jun 7 2004, 03:28 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-greenlightracer@Jun 7 2004, 02:12 PM
lol. I have the same experiance, my boyfriend has a 2001 Neon 3 speed, and he can stop faster and accelerate faster then my 325i auto :(.
so your a girl [/b][/quote]
i would hope so....

318 would def. win, even against a corolla s

#14 ·
Well, crappy as it may be (we are talking about a Dodge Neon, anyway), I still can't imagine what would make their engineers think that three forward gears would be able to cover the acceleration and cruising demands of everyday driving.

Long as the 318 driver knows what he's doing, I'd put money on the Bimmer.
If you've ever dumped the clutch above 2000rpm in a front-wheel-drive, you know what I'm talking about.

#15 ·
Originally posted by schneider252@Jun 7 2004, 04:30 PM

i belive he has the E30.... if he does have the E36 like in the link then he wouldnt be in this section of the forums
Updated my previous post to reflect E30 specs.
Thanks. :thumbs

#16 ·
Originally posted by CiscoKid+Jun 7 2004, 03:32 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (CiscoKid @ Jun 7 2004, 03:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by schneider252@Jun 7 2004, 03:28 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-greenlightracer
@Jun 7 2004, 02:12 PM

so your a girl
i would hope so....

318 would def. win, even against a corolla s [/b][/quote]
the auto corolla S seems to be a little faster than my 95 318i. a buddy of mine has a 02 or somthing like that. i think probably because its older. i was pretty much redlining it to keep up with him.... then again, he probably had pedal to the metal too. i also had a buddy(170lbs) in my car, he didnt. he(corolla kid) is also skinny as shit..we probably had almost an extra200 lbs in my car of just body weight. i would doubt that he could keep up once i gained some real speed though...

318s r really not fast off the line. bmws r not made for that kind of shit.

#19 ·
Well off the line the Corolla does appear to be faster. But this summer I'm going to change the rear diff. fluid, sand my spark plugs, oil change, change my tranny fluid (there must be a lot of metal shavings sine my g/f accidently shifted from 5th to 2nd on the highway), Clean out my PCV valve. And down the distributor cap a bit and see how much of a boost that gives me. I have noticed that the power starts kicking in on 2nd gear and 3rd gear. What do you guys think?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.