Blower, oh blower, why art though not blowing?! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 09:38 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Danbot is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Blower, oh blower, why art though not blowing?!

Yes, you guessed it, my blower is on the blink - it usually blows perfectly, then, while I'm cruising along, I suddenly feel really hot and sweaty, and try turning the blower on, only to discover it is on max already!!! Aircon works fine though, even though the blower isnt blowing.
Then, a day later, it works again.
I've checked the fuses. Nothing wrong.

Any other suggestiong from you guys?

Last edited by Danbot; 01-18-2006 at 09:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 02:08 PM
5th Gear Member

BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BMWJNKY Send a message via Yahoo to BMWJNKY
What year and model BMW?
#3 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 04:45 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Sorry, its an 89 325i, 4 door.
#4 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 07:21 AM
Teh Peetsa Gai

ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute
your blower resistor board might have taken a dump. I'll find a link.

'86 325es (TURTL3): PJ peetsa hawler
'87 535is (BADWATER): almost done... really.
'86 325e (GRN HLL): DD/show/rocket
'04 x3 3.0i: Wife's Bimmer (manual, woot!)
My BMW Blog
#5 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 10:45 AM
5th Gear Member

Red_Rocket is just really nice Red_Rocket is just really nice Red_Rocket is just really nice Red_Rocket is just really nice Red_Rocket is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Red_Rocket
you might need new brushes, although, iI recall its hard to find the right size, i had to grind some bigger ones down for them to fit

#6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 09:19 PM
5th Gear Member

BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute
First I would try replacing the blower resistor since it is a common problem after some years of use. It seems the blower resistor is the weak link in the HVAC system of all the BMW's both past and present.
#7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 11:29 PM
5th Gear Member

Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough
On the resistor there is a relay like contact, try cleaning this first with a points file or emery nail file. This opens up in case of an overload so you don't blow the resistor coils. It get funky with rust and stuff after a while.
#8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 09:03 AM
Neutral Member

luckycat is an unknown quantity at this point
my vote is for the brushes. They may just be stuck, so a little contact cleaner will get it blowing again, but most likely they are worn down. If you can't secure a new pair from BMW, look for a shop that sells small motor parts for electric drills and such. They can ususally find something close, then you can file it to fit. (the carbon is very soft) I've done this with good success.

Good luck!

#9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 01:48 PM
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starmavin
On the resistor there is a relay like contact, try cleaning this first with a points file or emery nail file. This opens up in case of an overload so you don't blow the resistor coils. It get funky with rust and stuff after a while.
Personaly, if this was me and I was in there and had the resistor out I'm just going to replace it with a new one. Its a fairly cheep part and just not worth it to me to take the time to clean and reinstall it just to hope it works again.
#10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 04:12 PM
5th Gear Member

Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough
You don't have to pull it out to clean it. Takes about 5 min. This would also tell you if you need to go deeper.

Last edited by Starmavin; 01-22-2006 at 04:15 PM.
#11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 03:04 PM
n00b

CadDaddy45 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CadDaddy45
Blower, oh blower why art though not blowing?!

I have a 92 Cabriolet (E30) and am having the same problem. It works and then it doesn't for no apparent reason. I'm told there's a blower relay mounted adjacent to the blower motor. Is this the same thing as the board you're talking about?
#12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 07:46 PM
5th Gear Member

Is it only the blower motor or are there other electronics cutting out?
#13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 02:10 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Its only the blower, but when I turn my lights on, the dim beam warning light comes on, on the mirror unit - anything there?
#14 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 09:08 PM
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbot
Its only the blower, but when I turn my lights on, the dim beam warning light comes on, on the mirror unit - anything there?
The headlamp system isn't connected to the blower that's another issue, I'd pull the pannel off the blower motor and see if it takes much force to spin the blower, if it stops just after you spin it, you may need to get another, if there is too much drag on the motor it'll pop the relay contact on the thermo-resistor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)