Blow By 1981 320i! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2007, 01:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Kr320i is on a distinguished road
Blow By 1981 320i!

Question to all. Should a 1981 320i have a high level of blowby when you remove the oil filler cap? Also, should there be a decrease in idle speed?

Thanks all.
Kr320i is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2007, 12:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: '89 E30 w/M50
Photos:
BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BMWJNKY Send a message via Yahoo to BMWJNKY
If you can remove the oil cap and the engine still runs you have a problem. With a properly running M10 if you pull out the dip stick or take off the oil cap the engine will die. What makes you think you have excessive blow-by?

BMWJNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 02:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
When dealing with American cars...if you have excessive blow by then it usually means the rings are going bad or the valves or serious vacuum leak. I pulled the oil cap off of the bimmer and it tried to die. Had a lot of air rushing out and I've never had that experience before. Never had a bimmer before.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Photos:
BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kr320i
When dealing with American cars...if you have excessive blow by then it usually means the rings are going bad or the valves or serious vacuum leak. I pulled the oil cap off of the bimmer and it tried to die. Had a lot of air rushing out and I've never had that experience before. Never had a bimmer before.
If you take the oil cap off and the engine ran poor but didn't die I would say you have some other vac. leaks as the engine should die with the oil cap off. BMW uses very different cam profiles and duration than an American car. You were probably hearing air being sucked in not forced out, this is due to how the cam is. By running these sorts of cams in the BMW's BMW has eliminated the EGR system from their engines. The last BMW with EGR was probably the 1979 320i and even then it wasn't a true ERG like on an american car.

So, I would look for cracked hoses or hoses in poor condition and replace them. Like I said in my pervious post if you pull out the dipstick the engine should run poor and almost die, and if you pull off the oil cap the engine should die. It would probably be a good idea to do a major service on the car if it hasn't been done recently, plugs, cap, rotor, valve adjustment, oil change, fuel filter, diff fluid and trans fluid.

Old 11-02-2007, 07:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Bmwjnky, I did took it in and they said exactly what you did. They replaced some hoses and gave it a tune up and it runs great. Thanks for all your help.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car:
Photos:
german-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kr320i
Bmwjnky, I did took it in and they said exactly what you did. They replaced some hoses and gave it a tune up and it runs great. Thanks for all your help.

Just curious...what did that cost you? b/c vacuum hose is cheap and it only takes about 30 minutes to an hour max for a quick tune. you could have done it yourself for less than $50 prolly.

Two wheels or Four, I'm happy as long as the throttle is pinned.
german-speed-demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 01:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by german-speed-demon
Just curious...what did that cost you? b/c vacuum hose is cheap and it only takes about 30 minutes to an hour max for a quick tune. you could have done it yourself for less than $50 prolly.
Yes, the 1/8" vac hose is cheap but there are also formed hoses that are BMW M10 specific that are not as cheap and not fun to replace. I used to have an E21 so I know all about changing out the hoses.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)