Black trim. - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2004, 04:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: 1996 328i
Photos:
Aether is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Aether Send a message via MSN to Aether
I have an 87 325 (sedan), with the aluminum window trim, and it's pretty beaten up and oxidized. I'm going to polish the daylights out of it just to make sure, but I think it's time to replace it. With black.

The E30 318s I've seen have the black trim, which I imagine would fit just fine, but I've only seen coupe models, and I seriously doubt the rear windows are the same size. If they are, hey, cool, but probably not. I'm pretty sure they sold four-door E30 318s in Europe, but I haven't ever seen any in the states.

Did BMW indeed import 318i sedans to America, and is there any reason switching the trim with a 325 be a stupid idea? I'd also like to get an idea of how difficult this would be to remove, if anyone's ever done it before.

Danke.

Four Five Six - It's on.
Aether is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2004, 09:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
angryrobots is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm not sure what the trim around my windows used to look like. There are aluminum pieces in the corners and in the middle, but the stuff in between is discolored. I was planning on taping it off and painting it flat black.
angryrobots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 10:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Photos:
Yeah, that's around the front and rear windows. I think that's a window frame that runs under the rubber sleeve, with another cheaper metal inlay overtop of it. But it could just be the corner pieces are aluminum, I'm not sure.

I was talking about the trim around the doors.
But I should probably replace the front anf rears while I'm at it.

Four Five Six - It's on.
Old 07-08-2004, 11:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car:
Photos:
MrM3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to MrM3
shadowlining the window trim is a pretty popular thing to do. most have success with removing it from the car and painting it with satin black trim paint.
MrM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 01:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Official Bimmerwerkz Biscuit Distributer

Car: 00 M Coupe
Photos:
spiff325is has much to be proud ofspiff325is has much to be proud ofspiff325is has much to be proud ofspiff325is has much to be proud ofspiff325is has much to be proud ofspiff325is has much to be proud ofspiff325is has much to be proud ofspiff325is has much to be proud ofspiff325is has much to be proud ofspiff325is has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to spiff325is
woo, your in luck, cuz I JUST DID THAT TODAY!!!!!! WOO! and i repainted the side view mirror casing black also, it looks SOO SWEEET. there will be pics in the Pic Area if you want to see them. here is one of them... its not the best pic, but tomorrow I, hopefully, will take a ton
Attached Thumbnails
Black trim.-frontrighthigh.jpg  

"You gotta fix the nut behind the wheel before you fix the bolts on the car"
spiff325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 10:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Trob is an unknown quantity at this point
That looks really good..I might consider doing that. My chrome is in good shape but blacking it out seems to update the look of the car. Did you take it off befor you painted it? Im just waundering how much of a pain in the ass it is to get off and back on. ghead
5 SPEED
THE MORE RARE IT IS THE MORE IT COSTS TO FIX!

95 BMW 325 IS
GREEN
2 DOOR
5 SPEED
LET THE MODS BEGIN
Trob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 10:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Photos:
Ok, so it's not as stupid to paint aluminum as my father made it sound. Always happy to save a trip to the junkyard.

What did you have to do before painting the trim? There's no way I'd trust myself to paint it on the car, no matter the extent to which it was masked off. But in the way of priming it - did you sand it at all, put a few coats of primer on it, or what. Or, what would be really nice, does paint just up and stick right to it? Yeah, right...

Looks good.
That and the Ronals.

Four Five Six - It's on.
Old 07-09-2004, 03:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

Photos:
spiff325is has much to be proud ofspiff325is has much to be proud ofspiff325is has much to be proud ofspiff325is has much to be proud ofspiff325is has much to be proud ofspiff325is has much to be proud ofspiff325is has much to be proud ofspiff325is has much to be proud ofspiff325is has much to be proud ofspiff325is has much to be proud of
to do the mirror casing and trim, took about 4 hours, but its well worth it. I didint take anything off, but you need some 3M scuff pads and SEM Trim Paint. I had to tape around the chrome and the mirrors, and then used the big black garbage bag(about 6 total) and sorta covered off my car in the areas that might be exposed to the offspray. takes a while, Im sorry i forgot to take a picture of my car with the bags on.

Old 07-09-2004, 03:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
LC82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to LC82
I have the same problem, i need to replace the trim and i was wondering where i can get the black trim?
LC82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 03:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
87bimmer is an unknown quantity at this point
I've been meaning to do something about my faded black trim- what color trim paint did you get? Satin Black? Flat? any protective/clear coat? also, where did you buy the paint?
87bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 09:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
tyro2001 is an unknown quantity at this point
Bavauto sells some thing that sappoused to make your old trim look like new or something but im not sure if it really works as good or last long, but repainting the trim sounds like a good i idea. i never tough of it
tyro2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 09:12 PM   #12 (permalink)

Photos:
Flat black is the best. and no, no clear coat or any priming required, just scuff the chrome or whatever you are applying it to, first. then wipe down what you just scuffed

Old 07-10-2004, 09:14 AM   #13 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Photos:
Awesome.

In answer to the faded black question, get some Mothers Back-to-Black. It's basically a composite conditioner, and you 'massage' it into the surface. My mirror cases, door handles, and mudflaps were all kinds of faded when I got the car, and buffing that stuff in makes them look like new again. Well, sort of. They're still knicked up, and sometimes you have to do it a couple times over to get everything. But it ought to end up looking a whole lot better.

Four Five Six - It's on.
Old 07-10-2004, 11:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
e30Slave is an unknown quantity at this point
Was just thinking tracking down the black 318 trim- is that a dealership type thing? or a junkyard type thing? The few places I've inquired about the chrome trim say they don't handle that stuff. I'm missing one side of my chrome "drip-edge" or whatever it's called-curious how to remove that stuff without mangling. I think the black trim looks very modern and cool.
e30Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 11:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Photos:
It was what came on the cars when they were purchased from a dealership..but you'll not be finding any E30 BMWs there anymore. You can get the trim stuff from junkyards, probably. There's always eBay.

So who thinks it'd be safe to follow the trim procedure on the metal bumper surfaces?

Four Five Six - It's on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)