BMW Werkz banner

It beeps at me

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  m20enginebuilder 
#1 ·
I'm thinking it's something stupid like an oil change/service warning, but every once in a while there's a beeping noise that comes from...somewhere? I've always got the radio on when it happens, so I never know if it's coming through the speakers or from that thing that looks like a tiny speaker grill near the comfort controls. Usually three short beeps, but I swear once or twice it may have been four. Sometimes it happens right after the car is started, sometimes it happens after I've been driving it a few miles. There's no lights on the dash to indicate a SES or oil change indicator is going off.

Am I going crazy? Is my car trying to talk to me? WTF does it mean?

#2 ·
Its not comeing through the stereo, theres a beeper underneath the dash in the plastic panel that bolts down there. Thats what makes the beep. Now I dont KNOW why it would just beep at you, but they NORMALLY beep when you turn on the ignition to "on/run". Mine beeps 4 times when I turn it to on, and then stops. It lasts about the same amount of time as it takes my S10 to prime the fuel circuit, and since my e30 does not do this, I have a habit of turning it on until the beeping stops THEN cranking it to start it. I seem to do it with all vehicles I work on. Just a habit from the S10.

#5 ·
I doubt I have Idrive, this car is 25 years old. I think the oil service and SES lights are burned out or just not working. I noticed this morning that my little light bar has gone past yellow and is now red, so it's probably the oil service. Stupid car keeps track of stuff better than I do.

Thanks guys!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.