Bad News - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 08:51 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
SynSyx is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to SynSyx
(Thread Starter)
well i just got some very bad news from my mechanic....

last saturday i had the car towed in from my house becaue the car wouldnt start. after two days, the mechanic calls back and gives me the skinny: while the engine was running, the timing belt broke (hadnt been replaced since '96, thanks dad ), which caused the parts of the engine to run without organization, so they hit each other. apparently when that happened something got screwed up in my head, and now i need an entire new head, timing belt (obviously), and probably water pump.

so i guess what im trying to say is, where can i get this shit for mad cheap? between myself and my friends we can probably do all the work....

Alpinweiss 1989 BMW 325i Convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 08:54 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
I bet you can get a new head from a junk yard, But of course you want a fresh timing belt - sorry to hear!

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#3 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 08:54 PM
1st Gear Member

DeathMetal is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by SynSyx@Mar 2 2005, 08:51 PM
well i just got some very bad news from my mechanic....

last saturday i had the car towed in from my house becaue the car wouldnt start. after two days, the mechanic calls back and gives me the skinny: while the engine was running, the timing belt broke (hadnt been replaced since '96, thanks dad ), which caused the parts of the engine to run without organization, so they hit each other. apparently when that happened something got screwed up in my head, and now i need an entire new head, timing belt (obviously), and probably water pump.

so i guess what im trying to say is, where can i get this shit for mad cheap? between myself and my friends we can probably do all the work....
[snapback]302839[/snapback]
the timing belt borke WHILE the car was at the shop? That seems awfully suspect.

<span style='color:blue'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Member of the Out of the Closet &quot;I Listen to Metal and own a Bimmer&quot; Club</span></span>
#4 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 09:01 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
no no no, i was driving the car to school early one morning, and in my driveway the engine died when the timing belt broke.... must have been frozen or something, or just really old....

#5 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 09:52 PM
5th Gear Member

BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BMWJNKY Send a message via Yahoo to BMWJNKY
Quote:
Originally posted by SynSyx@Mar 2 2005, 07:01 PM
no no no, i was driving the car to school early one morning, and in my driveway the engine died when the timing belt broke.... must have been frozen or something, or just really old....
[snapback]302852[/snapback]
It was just too old, max life for a timing belt on the M20 is 5 years or 40K miles(whichever comes first). At $40 for a new belt and idler pully I replace mine everyother year. For me it takes about 45min to replace just the belt, and maybe another 10-15min if I do the water pump at the sametime.
#6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 10:39 PM
3rd Gear Member

Kowalski is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Kowalski
as for your head did it bend the valves and crack the head? or is the head in decent shape because you could get it machined and fixed depending on what is wrong. if its un repairable seeing as wreckers dont part out engines and if they do the price wil be jacked you should buy a complete engine of that year from the wrecker part it out take what you want and dont want or even keep it and build it up itno a really nice motor and swap heads when you think its finished. and as for the head pull it off take it to a machine shop get it checked to see if its straight and get new valve guides put in and make sure you have your engine at TDC when you bolt it on and follow instructions to the T otherwise you could end up with the same problem before you have the head on again so instuctions are your friend double and tripple check eveything you do and good luck! it doesn't take that long to do a head and all that stuff if you get the head machined it should take less then half a day to take the engine appart and throw on the other head. i know because iv done it. not for the same reason tho.... i did it for more power, and my head was warped and i was burning coolant but thats a whole other story GOOD LUCK!

M42 Custom ground cams for sale PM me
264* roatation and 388 lift
#7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 10:47 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
well, when i went to the shop he had the cover off and the top of the head revealed. he showed me one of valves that broke off. come to think of it, im not really sure why i need a whole new head, the other parts of the head (valves, springs, and the whole cam) seemed fine, ill ask him again tho.

for sure i will need a timing belt tho hehe

#8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 10:49 PM
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SynSyx@Mar 2 2005, 09:47 PM
well, when i went to the shop he had the cover off and the top of the head revealed. he showed me one of valves that broke off. come to think of it, im not really sure why i need a whole new head, the other parts of the head (valves, springs, and the whole cam) seemed fine, ill ask him again tho.

for sure i will need a timing belt tho hehe
[snapback]302926[/snapback]
haha take the head to a machine shop and get them to test it, and then get them to replace the valves and valve guides or atleast the broken valves.

#9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 06:58 AM
n00b

Stamey is an unknown quantity at this point
Been there, in 1992, which is how I got the car so cheap. Bent 2 intake and 4 exhaust. There wasn't anything wrong with the head. Those exhaust valves are EXPENSIVE though, over twice what the intake cost. If you had been turning some RPMs, there might be an issue, but idle or low RPM shouldn't hurt the head.
I pulled an installed the head, but had a Beemer mechanic to the head job.
Change my belt every 50K (every other oil change) ever since and all has been well.

Chris

1997 E36, 125K
1986 E30, 323K and counting.
Other vehicles: 99 and 96 Dodge Ram 2500's, 4x4 DIESEL. Twin turbos, 600 hp and 12's in the 1/4. I wish could afford a BMW with a diesel.
#10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 07:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Trob is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry to hear that man..I was gonna make an appointment to change mine till the Trannie went out. Thats blowing my bimmer cash for a little while. ghead

91 BMW 325 IX
BLACK
2 DOOR
5 SPEED
THE MORE RARE IT IS THE MORE IT COSTS TO FIX!

95 BMW 325 IS
GREEN
2 DOOR
5 SPEED
LET THE MODS BEGIN
#11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 11:51 PM
5th Gear Member

BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BMWJNKY Send a message via Yahoo to BMWJNKY
Quote:
Originally posted by Stamey@Mar 3 2005, 04:58 AM
Change my belt every 50K (every other oil change) ever since and all has been well.

Chris
[snapback]303096[/snapback]
You go 25K between oil changes?
#12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 07:23 PM
n00b

Stamey is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by AJ's320i+Mar 4 2005, 01:51 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AJ's320i @ Mar 4 2005, 01:51 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Stamey@Mar 3 2005, 04:58 AM

Chris
[snapback]303599[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

Yep. 12.5K between filter changes (Amsoil oil and filters). Been 137K like that. You open the oil cap and it looks like brand new in there. It leaks more oil than it burns, and it doesn't leak much.

Chris

1997 E36, 125K
1986 E30, 323K and counting.
Other vehicles: 99 and 96 Dodge Ram 2500's, 4x4 DIESEL. Twin turbos, 600 hp and 12's in the 1/4. I wish could afford a BMW with a diesel.
#13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 01:39 PM
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Stamey+Mar 5 2005, 06:23 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stamey @ Mar 5 2005, 06:23 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Quote:
Originally posted by AJ's320i@Mar 4 2005, 01:51 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Stamey
Quote:
@Mar 3 2005, 04:58 AM

Chris

[snapback]303599[/snapback]

Yep. 12.5K between filter changes (Amsoil oil and filters). Been 137K like that. You open the oil cap and it looks like brand new in there. It leaks more oil than it burns, and it doesn't leak much.

Chris
[snapback]304569[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

i believe his animated face ( ) was in shock because thats a hell of a long time in between oil changes.

#14 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 08:47 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
Can someone please post about how much a shop asks for a timing belt replacement?

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 10:34 PM
n00b

kringer2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by witeshark@Mar 13 2005, 07:47 PM
Can someone please post about how much a shop asks for a timing belt replacement?
[snapback]310630[/snapback]
Dealer in Colorado Springs wants $450 with parts

Local wrench wants $250 with parts.

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)