BMW Werkz banner

Back to Black recommendation

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  gotKRAUT 
#1 ·
Just thought I'd pass this discovery on.

I've been trying for years to revive my oxidised bumpers and rear mirrors from a dull grey to factory black. Maybe out of ignorance, I've constantly tried to use Armorall (a silcone based product that shines rubber (tyres - that's how we spell it Down Under ) and bumpers..I don't know if it's a universal product) but the blackness always disappeared straight after application. It was back to oxidised grey much to my eternal frustration. I now figure I was just exacerbating the problem using Armorall.

I was going to go the satin-black paint route I read in a forum somewhere when, a couple of hours ago, I was at a car parts store and noticed a range of US car care products called "Mothers". Never seen it before. I saw this exterior product called "Black to Black" which made grand statements about being able to clean oxidised and faded plastics. I suspected "snake oil" and more dough down the drain - but by golly it really works!!

In my case, I had to do some multiple applications to remove all the embedded crud from the affected parts (air intakes under windshield were dull grey - now satin black). Bumpers came up so well my 11 year old in passing told me the car looked new. Needless to say I'm very impressed with this product - if I had the bucks, I'd buy the company. Are all Mother's products this good??? Does anyone have other recommendations?

See less See more
#5 ·
I bought it at Supercheap (which has stores all over Australia). A bit of web surfing revealed that BMTech (leading independent service centre) recommends Mother's. They carry the factory stuff as well.

http://www.bmtech.com.au/design/products/carcare.asp

Here's the Mother's URL http://www.mothers.com/products/

There's a good blurb about what Back to Black does. I just checked my car before to make sure I wasn't being self-delusional....Yup, it works. It's not often something arrives on the shelf that objectively does what the manufacturer claims.

#6 ·
i got mine at pepboys...
it does wonders to the looks of your car, but ive noticed that after about 3 washes, its starting to fade and needs to be reapplied

#7 ·
that stuff does work, and my freaking bumper moldings, mirrors and all the other plastic black body parts were faded...baaaad. i have used that but if you ever run out try to use meguiars tire shine, it smells like grapes and works! haha, im not sure if its cheaper, but its kinda greasy..thats the only bad thing about it.

#9 ·
Originally posted by TMac325is@Aug 29 2004, 09:47 AM
i got mine at pepboys...
it does wonders to the looks of your car, but ive noticed that after about 3 washes, its starting to fade and needs to be reapplied
doesnt bother me at least it works :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.