Axle nut removal... - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 09:23 PM
2nd Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to DIRTE30
(Thread Starter)
Axle nut removal...

Hey ya'll... yeah that's right I said ya'll! Workin on the budget project still. Found the noise from the rear was coming from the drivers rear. The cv axle jacks in and out as the hub turns and it makes a crunching sound. It also has a zip tie on the boot and a bunch of old grease around the hub, so I know it nees the axle at least. Maybe a bearing as well. Anyhow my question is what freakin size is the nut that holds that bad boy on and has anyone else had sucess getting the little retianing thingy out of there? Have to go scrapyarding on Wed. and I need to know before I go. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 01:05 AM
5th Gear Member

Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough
Before you run out there, you'll need a hub press to get the CV head out of the flange. It's a simple device, easy to make.
#3 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 05:19 PM
2nd Gear Member

DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute
(Thread Starter)
you can't just use a piece of pipe and a ball peen to drive it out? What about the hub bearing, how much of a pain in the ass is that gonna be if I have to replace it? Any specialty tools required for it?
#4 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 06:25 PM
5th Gear Member

Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough
You can beat it out, however chances are good that you'll damage the threads and knock the bearing loose damaging it. Changing the bearing in the rear with the control arm on the car will require a tool called the Hub Shark, I use it mostly on VWs at the shop (BMW bearings under normal use seem to last forever)

You cannot pull the hub flange out with out ripping the bearing apart and if you do you'll need a bearing splitter to press the race off the flange. You can notch it with a buzz wheel and crack it with a chisel but that dangerous, risky and not to mention it sucks. The bearing itself is pressed into the control arm and held in place with a large C-clip. It's a bit of a bitch in the field, but the right tools you'll save yourself a lot of unnecessary drama. The inner C/V is cake ,a 4 square or (12 point) bit, a light hammer and 5 min and no problem.

P.S. Get ALL the dirt out of the bolt head before you try to crack it loose, you do not want to strip these bolts!
#5 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 07:32 PM
2nd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Cool man... I'll see what I can do, I was looking at it earlier today and I think a closet dowel would work perfectly for knocking out the axle. It wouldn't damage the threads as it's softer that the steel being wood and all and it fits into the hub. I hope the bearing is good and I only have to deal with the cv. Thanks as usual buddy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)