Auto Tranny Upshifts At Wrong Time - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 09:13 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HorsepowerFreak is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I have a 95 325i with 85K miles on it. It has a problem that has gotten progressively worse over the past year. In auto mode it will upshift too soon, or stay in the upper gears when coming to a stop. In manual mode it shifts perfect without any issues.

I've done the following already which hasn't helped:
1) changed the tranny fluid
2) adjusted shifter linkage

Has anybody else had this problem or know what might be causing it. The dealership charged me a bunch just to say I would need to replace the tranny as they don't do rebuilds. I would like to believe that if it shifts perfect in manual mode and the auto mode is a problem that it may not be a mechanical problem at all and more likely a vacuum, electrical or filter issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Chris.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 11:19 PM
3rd Gear Member

Kowalski is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Kowalski
Quote:
Originally posted by HorsepowerFreak@Feb 23 2005, 08:13 PM
I have a 95 325i with 85K miles on it. It has a problem that has gotten progressively worse over the past year. In auto mode it will upshift too soon, or stay in the upper gears when coming to a stop. In manual mode it shifts perfect without any issues.

Has anybody else had this problem or know what might be causing it. The dealership charged me a bunch just to say I would need to replace the tranny as they don't do rebuilds. I would like to believe that if it shifts perfect in manual mode and the auto mode is a problem that it may not be a mechanical problem at all and more likely a vacuum, electrical or filter issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Chris.
[snapback]298113[/snapback]
you didn't change the filter? change that now! pronto and why would you take it to the stealership of all places? if its a tranny problem take it to a tranny shop a well known one, dont take it to one cause its cheap if it looks shaddy chances are they are shaddy thats the thing about tranny's you get a rebuild and they can put in shitty parts and you'll never know until it blows again and you have to get another rebuild. i know this happens a lot cause my friends dad owns a tranny shop. anyways good luck to ya.

M42 Custom ground cams for sale PM me
264* roatation and 388 lift
#3 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 02:46 AM
5th Gear Member

guywithblack88e30 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Kowalski+Feb 23 2005, 09:19 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kowalski @ Feb 23 2005, 09:19 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-HorsepowerFreak@Feb 23 2005, 08:13 PM
I have a 95 325i with 85K miles on it.* It has a problem that has gotten progressively worse over the past year.* In auto mode it will upshift too soon, or stay in the upper gears when coming to a stop.* In manual mode it shifts perfect without any issues.

Has anybody else had this problem or know what might be causing it.* The dealership charged me a bunch just to say I would need to replace the tranny as they don't do rebuilds.* I would like to believe that if it shifts perfect in manual mode and the auto mode is a problem that it may not be a mechanical problem at all and more likely a vacuum, electrical or filter issue.* Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Chris.
[snapback]298113[/snapback]
you didn't change the filter? change that now! pronto and why would you take it to the stealership of all places? if its a tranny problem take it to a tranny shop a well known one, dont take it to one cause its cheap if it looks shaddy chances are they are shaddy thats the thing about tranny's you get a rebuild and they can put in shitty parts and you'll never know until it blows again and you have to get another rebuild. i know this happens a lot cause my friends dad owns a tranny shop. anyways good luck to ya.
[snapback]298192[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

take it to aamco

double A (honk honk) mco

Member of got its raining(in Members Lounge) to 100, 237, 250, &amp; 300 pages club...
Member of 3 Pedel club...
Member of ran away from cop using DRIFTING not speed(ok a little speed)...
#4 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 09:11 AM
n00b

HorsepowerFreak is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by Kowalski@Feb 23 2005, 10:19 PM

So you think the filter could be the problem? I would imagine I would have to take the tranny pan off to do that. Is that a pretty easy job?

Thanks for the help.

Chris.
#5 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 12:15 AM
3rd Gear Member

Kowalski is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Kowalski
Quote:
Originally posted by HorsepowerFreak+Feb 24 2005, 08:11 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HorsepowerFreak @ Feb 24 2005, 08:11 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Kowalski@Feb 23 2005, 10:19 PM

So you think the filter could be the problem? I would imagine I would have to take the tranny pan off to do that. Is that a pretty easy job?

Thanks for the help.

Chris.
[snapback]298335[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

yeah from what i remember its right there, drop the pan and then top off the tranny again. if the filters clogged it wont fill the drums fast enough to engage the gears which could cause speratic shifting. how fast does itt go into gear after putting it into drive? ps change the filter no matter what, its probably due for a change neways.

M42 Custom ground cams for sale PM me
264* roatation and 388 lift
#6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 12:42 PM
n00b

wango is an unknown quantity at this point
i need any help for the same issue. auto tranny shift up at lower rpm and i feel kinda slamming which seems like miss firing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)