Another Emergency - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 11:40 AM
4th Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
WardJ is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to WardJ Send a message via MSN to WardJ Send a message via Yahoo to WardJ
(Thread Starter)
Another Emergency

i put back together the vital parts of my steering wheel, except the ignition is locked and won't let me turn the key. could i have left something out? i didn't pull out anything electrical while i was trying to get to my instrument cluster. also, i didn't put the instrument cluster back in all the way, but i figured i wouldn't need too, that shouldn't affect the ignition lock. i have class at 6!! somebody help me!!!: : used: used: : :

overdid it on the smileys but i'm really angry/confused

'85 325e
'Arrest Me Red'
mods to come:
Window Tint
New Badges - Check!
Muffler - Check! - Ansa free flow
New Radio
Sport Shocks - Bilstein
Keyless Entry + Alarm - BMW Security Systems
Power Flow Intake

THE founding member of "i don't hate on del"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 12:28 PM
4th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to WardJ Send a message via MSN to WardJ Send a message via Yahoo to WardJ
(Thread Starter)
update

this is probably common knowledge, but i just tried to take the steering wheel off again and of course because the ignition is locked..i cant.
ARG!!!
someone please!

'85 325e
'Arrest Me Red'
mods to come:
Window Tint
New Badges - Check!
New Radio
Sport Shocks - Bilstein
Power Flow Intake

#3 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 12:37 PM
3rd Gear Member

rej487 has a spectacular aura about rej487 has a spectacular aura about rej487 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to rej487
Wish I could be more of a help, but I'm not too familiar with how the ignition system on a BMW works, but I know its complicated! used:

Try calling the dealership or a local import mechanic and ask if they have had any similar experiences, you'd be surprised at what you'll find...

Good luck!

1993 BMW 325I - Alpina White
#4 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 01:35 PM
Teh Peetsa Gai

ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute
Ok, here's what Bentley says:
REPLACING IGNITION SWITCH/STEERING LOCK
The ignition switch snaps into place on the steering lock housing, on the end opposite the lock cylinder. The ignition switch and switch harness can be removed from the back of the ignition lock by using a small screwdriver to release the spring catch.
To remove the ignition/steering lock cylinder insert the key and work through the small hole to release the lock. on 1984-1986 models , the lock can be released by pressing in with a small screwdriver as the key is turned, as shown in fig 7-10.
On 1987-1990 model, turn the key clockwise 60 degrees and insert a 1.2mm (3/64 in.) diameter wire into the hole in the lock cylinder to release the lock.
Removal of the stering lock mechanism from the steering column is more involved. With the trim and the steering column switches removed as described above, remove the collar, the snap ring, the washer, the spring, and the plastic sleeve, in that order, from the end of the steering column. Then, use two screwdrivers to pry up the upper steering column bearing. See fig 7-11. With the electrical harness connectors disconnected, chisel off the head of the shear bolt. Then remove the steering lock mechanism from the steering column.
Installation is the reverse of removal. the new shear bolt is BMW Part No. 32 31 1 154 176. Tighten it until the head shears off. If the lock mechanism is being replaced, remove the carbon contact, shown in fig 7-11, from the old mechanism by drilling out the rivets, and sinstiall it on the new mechanism. Screws, washers, and nuts for this prupose are available from your authorized BMW Dealer.
I don't know if you already have this, and I don't have a scanner, or I would scan the pictures for you. I hope it helps a little. I don't have any personal experience in there.

'86 325es (TURTL3): PJ peetsa hawler
'87 535is (BADWATER): almost done... really.
'86 325e (GRN HLL): DD/show/rocket
'04 x3 3.0i: Wife's Bimmer (manual, woot!)
My BMW Blog
#5 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 02:34 PM
4th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
thanks man

'85 325e
'Arrest Me Red'
mods to come:
Window Tint
New Badges - Check!
New Radio
Sport Shocks - Bilstein
Power Flow Intake

#6 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 02:16 PM
4th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
my dad and i checked the connections in the instrument cluster and everything was fine. so how do i replace the source? where is the sensor/transmittor or a fuse?

'85 325e
'Arrest Me Red'
mods to come:
Window Tint
New Badges - Check!
New Radio
Sport Shocks - Bilstein
Power Flow Intake

#7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 10:40 PM
5th Gear Member

Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough
The lock isn't electrical it's mechanical, if you can't turn the key, you may have the igniton installed wrong, or the wheel is cocked to one side try moving the wheel in either direction while trying to turn the key.

Last edited by Starmavin; 12-17-2005 at 10:43 PM.
#8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 11:27 PM
4th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starmavin
The lock isn't electrical it's mechanical, if you can't turn the key, you may have the igniton installed wrong, or the wheel is cocked to one side try moving the wheel in either direction while trying to turn the key.
its actually not that i was talking about. i have a previous thread about the speedomter and how it's not working (thats why it's "another" emergency). i'm talking about how i can't find out where the fuse for the speedometer is. the speedometer is electrical. and technically your ignition is too, the metal turns the electrical housing unit, which sparks and starts the car..well that was vague but yeah

'85 325e
'Arrest Me Red'
mods to come:
Window Tint
New Badges - Check!
New Radio
Sport Shocks - Bilstein
Power Flow Intake

Last edited by WardJ; 12-17-2005 at 11:40 PM.
#9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2005, 10:57 PM
5th Gear Member

Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough
The ignition is electrical but the wheel locking mech isn't. I was refering to your early post about not being able to get your steering wheel off.

Is there anything else that is dead in your dash. Your rear defoger is linked to the spedo so is the OBC and also there are about 9 other fuses also linked to it.
#10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2005, 11:03 PM
4th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
your avatar weirds me out..(what is it??)

lets see. the rpm guage still works, the battery and fuel guage still work. the OBC i'm not sure about, it displays time and date but i hadn't though to look at the function it has for speed, i haven't driven it since monday night. i'm going to take the car for a spin in the morning so i can let you know what other stuff may or may not work. if you could supply me a list of things to look for? that'd be great that way i can help you out further with my problema

spanish, thats right. problema

'85 325e
'Arrest Me Red'
mods to come:
Window Tint
New Badges - Check!
New Radio
Sport Shocks - Bilstein
Power Flow Intake

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)