Air/Fuel Gauge - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Ľ Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2006, 11:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
JoeMadoo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JoeMadoo Send a message via MSN to JoeMadoo Send a message via Yahoo to JoeMadoo
Air/Fuel Gauge

Will an air/fuel gauge such as autometer work with the stock o2 sensor we have?

JoeMadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2006, 05:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Rfitz25 is on a distinguished road
Saw some similar discussions on rev3 forums.

I'm trying to figure out the right part number for Bosh 19# injectors for an I motor (low impedance) maybe I'll start a thread.

but this relates to possibly running rich and whether the O2 sensor and ECU will compensate correctly.

Rfitz25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 06:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

Car: '87 325es M50tu Swapped
Photos:
gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
Fitz; air fuel gauge has nothing to do with changing the AF ratio it just monitors

Joe: Yes you can but im not sure which one you need to splice into..I am running a summit racing AF gauge on my scirocco and it was cake because its single wire, but im not sure on these...im useless sorry hehe

but its whichever one is the signal wire

one is heater, one is signal and there are one or 2 grounds..

Edit: oh and keep in mind if you extend or shorten the wires from the AF gauge all the o2 readings will be off unless you use a much larger diameter wire and actually solder the connections on the extended piece so that there is minimal change in resistance, but the original wire that comes with the AF gauge should not be cut

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast Vid 0-70ish
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped*Sold*
1985 VW Scirocco: Too many mods, money pit*Sold*
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!

Last edited by gotKRAUT; 09-15-2006 at 06:14 PM.
gotKRAUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 09:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to DIRTE30
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotKRAUT
Fitz; air fuel gauge has nothing to do with changing the AF ratio it just monitors

Joe: Yes you can but im not sure which one you need to splice into..I am running a summit racing AF gauge on my scirocco and it was cake because its single wire, but im not sure on these...im useless sorry hehe

but its whichever one is the signal wire

one is heater, one is signal and there are one or 2 grounds..

Edit: oh and keep in mind if you extend or shorten the wires from the AF gauge all the o2 readings will be off unless you use a much larger diameter wire and actually solder the connections on the extended piece so that there is minimal change in resistance, but the original wire that comes with the AF gauge should not be cut

Good advise... Definitely need to solder into the wire on the O2 sensor or you will have some issues. You should be able to find the signal wire fairly easy by looking at a wiring diagram. Stoich's are ok for N/A motors but if you're looking for accurate enough info for boost monitoring they suck! You need a wide band or an EGT guage if you want some accurate info. Cool to watch the little lights change color though!
DIRTE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 11:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

Car: '87 325es M50tu Swapped
Photos:
gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
x2

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast Vid 0-70ish
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped*Sold*
1985 VW Scirocco: Too many mods, money pit*Sold*
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
gotKRAUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 01:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
JoeMadoo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JoeMadoo Send a message via MSN to JoeMadoo Send a message via Yahoo to JoeMadoo
So this is a yes then?

JoeMadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)