BMW Werkz banner

8mm wires

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  shaner 
#1 ·
has anyone tried the 8mm wire sets , do they really make a differance (are they worth the $$) or is a MSD ignition or coil better to blow money on?

if i touch my wires when the car is running i get shocked to hell , you think its time to replace? :dunno

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
if you feel you want to replace your wires, do so, i cant tell you what kind of condition they are in from the net but perhaps you might have to.

As for advice on what to buy, just buy the cheapest ones you can find. Hell if your like me youd just go buy generic cable and cut the lengths yourself. The only thing that 8mm wire is better for is the insulation, it gets rid of the whine that the stereo has. Stock wires had somewhat bad insulation, so when youd get above 2k revs, all the built up electricity creates a static and puts hum in the stereo. No performance will be gained on 8mm wires unless perhaps your running some extremely tuned system running on alcohol or methanol.

#4 ·
An easy way to test your plug wires is as follows.

Once dark, pop your hood and start your car.
Make sure you are in a good dark place, and have a look.
If your wires are bad, you should see a mini-fireworks display
This is usually evident prior to any significant cracking or visible degredation

#6 ·
I know a lot of guys who like the MSD ignition. It's going to give you better gas mileage (partially due to an easier start up), a little hp (no ricer math please), and better responsiveness. The guys I know say it's one of the best mods they've done to their cars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.