'89 325I won't start - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 05:40 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
warren cooper is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
'89 325I won't start

'89 325I convertable; drove it up the street about a two blocks. Cut it off for about ten minutes and it wouldn't start, sounded like it was out of gas. Went and got gas (gas gauge not working), put gas in and it would only hold about 5 or 6 gals. and it was full. Still would not crank. Left car, went back the next morning, and it cranked right up. The next day it drove fine. Stopped somewhere for lunch, came back out and wouldn't start (still full of gas). I replaced fuel filter and am pretty sure I hear the fuel pump running. It will turn over and seem to just about crank, sputter a few seconds then nothing. Each time it sounds like it's about to crank but it won't. I would check the fuel line going to the engine to see if fuel getting to engine, but don't know which line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 06:52 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future
sounds to me like either your fuel pump or your fuel relay is dying. relays are cheaper to try first trust me. pop out your relay and toss a jumper in for a few days. give that a shot first and see what happens. no problems arise, get a new relay.

R.I.P fast 6

Two wheels or Four, I'm happy as long as the throttle is pinned.
#3 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 07:12 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
where is the relay located? I may have already replaced this.
#4 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 02:03 AM
1st Gear Member

romeomike is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren cooper View Post
where is the relay located? I may have already replaced this.
Under a black cover in front of the left strut tower. From left to right in the photo, main -- fuel pump -- oxygen sensor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Main-fuel-O2-relays.jpg
Views:	2090
Size:	577.3 KB
ID:	27944  
#5 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 06:34 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Yep, I replaced those. Any other thoughts?
#6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 07:39 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Can someone please tell me where I would disconnect the fuel line to see if the fuel pump is actually working. I believe I can hear it running when I switch the ignition on but I"m not sure. I've checked the power to the pump, and that's okay. I just want to make sure the pump itself is working before I replace it. I'm thinking it's either this or the fuel pressure pump. I'm not very familiar with fuel injection issues, but I have replaced a fuel pump or two. REally haven't had to do anything major with this car since I purchased it a few years ago. I appreciate any help anyone can give me, since this is my main means of transportation.
#7 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 09:06 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
I just tested the main relay with a jumper wire still nothing. Had already replaced the other two fuses. I need to know which fuel line to disconnect under the hood. Would rather not have to get back under the car if not necessary.
#8 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 09:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Which fuel line to pull

Undo the one attached to the fuel pressure regulator (that's the return line). Attach a small length of fuel hose to the open fitting and put a suitable container underneath to catch any fuel. Crank the engine and you'll have an answer one way or another.
#9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 02:39 PM
1st Gear Member

And a picture to help

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomike View Post
Undo the one attached to the fuel pressure regulator (that's the return line). Attach a small length of fuel hose to the open fitting and put a suitable container underneath to catch any fuel. Crank the engine and you'll have an answer one way or another.
Fuel Pressure Regulator in the center between the upper radiator hose with the 90-degree bend and the front curving section of the intake manifold. You may want to invest in a few feet of fuel hose (8mm/5-16th inch) in case you notice cracks or you have to split the hose with a razor to get it off the fitting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FPR-and-fuel-rail.jpg
Views:	1232
Size:	676.9 KB
ID:	27959  
#10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 07:56 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thanks. Going to try that right now.
#11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 05:55 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
removed the fuel line, turned the ignition on, no gas coming out. Tried to crank, still no gas coming from the line. Looks like it's the fule pump after all. Thanks, too, for the above photo. That really helped. I don't like second guessing myself with all the different lines and not being familiar with the fuel injection engines. I do hear a humming coming from the direction of the pump when I turn the ignition on, but it's hard to tell if it's the antenna motor or not. I got a price from Advance Auto of about $250.00 for a new fuel pump. Do you know of somewhere else I might get a better price?
#12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 08:32 PM
2nd Gear Member

silversled can only hope to improve
I thought I posted this before...why do think it's fuel? Sounds like spark to me...the quickest way to tell if it's fuel or spark is to pull a spark plug, any spark after a failed start and smell it..if it smells like gas then it's spark, if it doesn't then it's fuel....or both.....good luck
#13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 09:05 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
It's not spark because it's firing. It sounds like it's just about to start, sometimes it will start for a sec but won't fully catch if that makes any sense. I'm sure it's firing.
#14 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 09:27 PM
2nd Gear Member

silversled can only hope to improve
I hear that, but that doesn't mean anything...did you pull a plug? and smell it?
#15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 09:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Post Some thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren cooper View Post
removed the fuel line, turned the ignition on, no gas coming out. Tried to crank, still no gas coming from the line. Looks like it's the fule pump after all. Thanks, too, for the above photo. That really helped. I don't like second guessing myself with all the different lines and not being familiar with the fuel injection engines. I do hear a humming coming from the direction of the pump when I turn the ignition on, but it's hard to tell if it's the antenna motor or not. I got a price from Advance Auto of about $250.00 for a new fuel pump. Do you know of somewhere else I might get a better price?
At some point the antenna motor will stop running. IIRC the faint buzzing in the engine compartment is your idle control valve at work.

Another test before you write off the fuel pump is to pull the fuel pump relay (middle relay next to the main relay you tested earlier) and with the ignition off, connect a jumper wire (ideally 16-gauge with a 15A inline fuse) across terminals 30 and 87. Turn the ignition on and see if your fuel pump runs at that point. If it does consider replacing the fuel pump relay and see if your problem goes away.

Another item that typically gets mentioned is the crank positioning sensor. The car's computer uses the CPS input that the engine is spinning and in turn allows the fuel pump to run. Bad CPS = no start, guaranteed.

Let's say after all this you have to change the fuel pump. Here are some potentially cheaper alternatives:

Visit realoem.com with the last seven numbers of your VIN. Look up the part number of your fuel pump. See if someone is offering it up on eBay, the FS section on BMW boards, craigslist, etc.

You can scour salvage yards. A fuel pump can be used on quite a few models besides your exact year, and realoem.com can help you develop a list of potential donor cars. Often the fuel sender units are pulled, but you can always transfer yours to the replacement unit.

With the old unit out of the vehicle and dry, you can buy just a pump and solder the electrical connections to your existing setup. Search around the Net -- I've read of people doing this kind of fix for around $50.

Good luck with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)