'89 325i turn signal problem - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 03:36 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RobS4567 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
'89 325i turn signal problem

I have an '89 325i convertable with Right side (front and back) turn signals that will not work. The Parking Lights/Hazard Flashers all work properly and the Left side turn signals (front and back) work too. The double filament bulb works for the front right hazard light but not for the front right turn signal and the rear right flasher works but not the rear right turn signal and that is a single filament bulb. I replaced these bulbs with new ones today to no avail. The Green Arrow on the instrument panel works fine for a Left turn but blinks/clicks very quickly for the Right Turn Signal.

If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great. I'm not really familiar with a multimeter but maybe it's getting time to do so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 08:34 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
I have been driving this car for about 2 weeks. It sat for 2 years on the side of my house with old gas and would not start due to a dead battery.

There ws a blinking A/V light on the dash and a old alarm system under the hood. I took out the partially melted siren near the exhaust manifold and some wiring a few weeks ago but the dash light still blinked. I figure this drained the battery. Today I went in and took out some more of the old alarm system. There was a blatent jumper wire into the #4 fuse slot and a lead jumper off the positive battery post. I removed as much of the wiring as I could -it ran along the firewall (in black plastic sheathing) to the driver side of the car into some old square chirp box mounted with a couple screws. I also took off a Bosh aluminum flasher and some old relay. I'm guessing this was part of the alarm system too.

Some of the wiring along the firewall went behind the power steering drum thru the firewall and into the car. I could not remove this so I cut it at the firewall. I'm happy because all the previous electical still works Hazards/Left blinker etc...but I still have the right blinker problem. The anoying A/V dash light however does not waste battery anymore -so thats good. As you can tell -I'm trying to feel my way thru the dark with this. I have a Chilton manual but thats it. No local guru except the local aftermarket parts guys. Tomorrow I may pull the steering wheel off (no SRS) and look at the turn signal switch -cause I know my bulbs are good.
#3 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 09:35 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Since the car sat for so long and had old gas in it...I'm guessing that's why there is a high pitched whining sound (sounds like a vacum cleaner at a distance) coming from the fuel pump especially after the car has been running for awhile. If I bang on the bottom of the gas tank below the fuel pump the whining sound goes away for a few minutes, but comes back. So I switched to premium fuel and 93 octane. The whining sound is still there but it's not as bad.
#4 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 03:23 PM
Neutral Member

pinnaclebass is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to pinnaclebass Send a message via Yahoo to pinnaclebass
as far as your turn signal. i have the same thing going on in my 85 325E. i tried just replacing the switch relay but it just does the same thing. the left blinker will not work. but the right one does. and it has been relayed automatically to the hazard lights. hazards work. but if you press the hazard lightly it initiates the left blinker. so i figured i have to replace the whole turn switch. which means taking off the steering wheel and spending 102.00 on a switch. horrible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)