89 325i sat 4 years turns over. spark. no run - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 11:37 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
illuminoti is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
89 325i sat 4 years turns over. spark. no run

hello. my 89 325i sat for about 4 years. jumped it and moved it twice. this time i was moving and very distracted. i connected the poles on my 325 battery backward. i didnt try to start it or turn the key at all. after i connected it right i tried to jump it, it turns over, i have spark, will run with starter fluid. didnt seem to be getting fuel. checked the fuel pump fuse. i have power to the fuel pump relay. i dont have power @ the fuel pump. i do if i jump the fuel pump relay connections. with the relay in i hav power to the relay but not on any of the other pins on the relay (with and without the key on). i dont hear the fuel pump doing anything even when i jump the relay. could i have killed the ecu by hooking up the battery backwards and the fuel pump have gummed up from sitting so long? or maybe could i have fried both? also with the fuel pump relay in and the key on i get a clicking sound almost like a short on the connection going to the ecu when i use my voltage light but no voltage. i should hav voltage there right? i swapped relays but could both be bad? if anyone has any ideas i would greatly appreciate it. i just ordered a fuel pump and 2 relays. maybe my ecu? thank you everyone in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 11:41 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
Each of the possible electric issues you listed needs to be checked one at a time. Sorry, there are no short cuts for this...

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#3 (permalink) Old 12-26-2008, 09:53 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
i have checked them one at a time. i was just listing what all ive come up with. i will replace everything involved i guess. i ordered the fuel pump and relays and realized it could be the ecu. any reason for the clicking but no voltage on the relay lead going to the ecu? is that normal? shouldnt i have voltage on that lead with the key on? or just when the car is turning over? thanks witeshark and everyone.
#4 (permalink) Old 12-26-2008, 10:55 AM
OMFG another one!?

witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
The relay to the ECU may be bad.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#5 (permalink) Old 12-26-2008, 11:18 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
thanks! do you know if that would be relay 1 or relay 2 in my haynes manual? i know relay 1 goes to the fuel pump. both have leads that go to the ecu. ive swapped the relays with the same result. i appreciate your help.
#6 (permalink) Old 12-26-2008, 11:41 AM
OMFG another one!?

You may wanna check the voltage regulator.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#7 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 07:14 PM
2nd Gear Member

silversled can only hope to improve
why not go directly from the battery to fuel pump itself?....screw the relay...good luck
#8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 12:34 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
yep, went from battery directly to the fuel pump. seemed like it tried to run but sounded almost like it was seized up or something. as soon as i recieve the pump ill replace it but still doesnt make sense why i wouldnt have voltage at the fuel pump with the relay in. when i jump the relay i do have voltage. i thought i was suppose to have voltage at the pump with the key on. or am i suppose to turn the engine over to see voltage at the pump? someone told me the pump should run with the key on. then i read that it doesnt prime the system when the key is on only pumps fuel when you turn the engine over. i have to go down to the garage where the car is to check voltage when i turn the car over. thanks again for everyones help
#9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 12:36 PM
Help from over the pond

marti5 is on a distinguished road
The pump will only start pumping when you crank the engine and not with just the key turned on.

VELVET BLUE UK INDIVIDUAL , IM THE LAST
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)