'89 325i Hard Start - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 11:25 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1989BMW325i is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Ok this is my first time putting something up here. I have an 1989 325i 2dr with 38,000 miles. Yeah you heard it right 38,000 miles.

Since it wasn't driven much I had the dealer check it out...to date I have spent about 6000 on stuff. Everything from air conditioner retro fit to all new beelts etc etc...everything has worked great except my car HARD STARTS like its JOB. I have to hold it down until it finally turns over...

Vista BMW the largest BMW dealer on the planet did this...

replaced the fuel pump and coolent temp sensor

still did it even when i got the car back...

so then

Hooked up the GT1 tester. Interrogated fault code memory of DME control unit. No fault codes stored. Checked status of crankshaft senor while cranking. Removed cap and rotor and inspected for damage/cracks. no cracks found. Cleaned all electrical contacts for cap and rotor. Started when cold several times. Engine intermittenly having a long crank time (NOW ITS REALLY LONG and ALL THE TIME) Removed and cleaned the idle valve. Found engine to start up quick then die immeadately. Restarted again..and engine idle hunting...replaced idle valve. fuel pressure at 40 psi...

Now...these guys called BMW NA and they said it would take up to 10 secs to start this bad boy...which is bull shit...they put some relay in they said and it have just been getting worse...WHAT DO I DO?

this car is perfect exept for this

please email me

joshgarson@hotmail.com

thanks guys

also...if i want to make this baby faster and better handling...what is the best way to do it...i want to use all german components
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s_Bimmer.jpg
Views:	3657
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	17716  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 12:32 AM
3rd Gear Member

Kowalski is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Kowalski
Quote:
Originally posted by 1989BMW325i@Feb 24 2005, 10:25 PM
Ok this is my first time putting something up here. I have an 1989 325i 2dr with 38,000 miles. Yeah you heard it right 38,000 miles.

Since it wasn't driven much I had the dealer check it out...to date I have spent about 6000 on stuff. Everything from air conditioner retro fit to all new beelts etc etc...everything has worked great except my car HARD STARTS like its JOB. I have to hold it down until it finally turns over...

Vista BMW the largest BMW dealer on the planet did this...

replaced the fuel pump and coolent temp sensor

still did it even when i got the car back...

so then

Hooked up the GT1 tester. Interrogated fault code memory of DME control unit. No fault codes stored. Checked status of crankshaft senor while cranking. Removed cap and rotor and inspected for damage/cracks. no cracks found. Cleaned all electrical contacts for cap and rotor. Started when cold several times. Engine intermittenly having a long crank time (NOW ITS REALLY LONG and ALL THE TIME) Removed and cleaned the idle valve. Found engine to start up quick then die immeadately. Restarted again..and engine idle hunting...replaced idle valve. fuel pressure at 40 psi...

Now...these guys called BMW NA and they said it would take up to 10 secs to start this bad boy...which is bull shit...they put some relay in they said and it have just been getting worse...WHAT DO I DO?

this car is perfect exept for this

please email me

joshgarson@hotmail.com

thanks guys

also...if i want to make this baby faster and better handling...what is the best way to do it...i want to use all german components
[snapback]298937[/snapback]
replace your fuel pump relays and fuses, there is a diagram somwhere on here search for it, its probably low voltage running through and its barley getting the voltage chances are you didn't need a new pump..... just a new relay and a fuse. as for the suspension H&R springs seem popular and rebuilding the suspension i.e new ball joins and bushings all arround, a bigger front and rear sway bar, offset lower controll arm bushins and then the strut bar or whatever its called goes on the strut mounts to reduce flexing connects the 2. i hear the sparco one is the best for the money but it has problems fitting on the M42 engine because of clearance issues, but you don t have the M42 so your fine. tires are a big bonus in handling also... and a rebuilt steering rack so it doesn't take so long to crank it to lock positioning for better and easier respons for turns. anyone else have anything to add? i probably forgot somthing... anyways good luck.

M42 Custom ground cams for sale PM me
264* roatation and 388 lift
#3 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 09:39 AM
3rd Gear Member

e30fanm3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to e30fanm3 Send a message via Yahoo to e30fanm3
replace your main relay also, and check your battery connections, take them off and clean them if necessary, i think at one time BMW said that as long as the car cranks within 45 seconds then it is fine, you could need a starter also
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)