BMW Werkz banner

'88 E30 Pre Purchase question

4K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  FCPGroton 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi I will be looking at a '88 325i this weekend and have a couple concerns and questions you might be able to help me with.

The current owner (a BMW/ Mercedes mechanic) said he had to replace the camshaft about 6 to 8 years ago because his mother (former owner) would only cold start and take short trips. should I be concerned that this would/will cause further engine problems down the road?

It has only 71,000 miles, and he gave me a list of work he has done on it that I don't have in front of me. Outside of a rust spot in the right back wheel well and some dings it seams to be in pretty good shape. He wants $1,800 for it but I may be able to get him down to 1,500 b/c it only has snow tires.

Is there any other known issues I should be looking for or specifics that could help me out? Any advice and pointers would be really appreciated.

Thanks guys

#3 ·
Thanks FCPGroton.

Here is the list of repairs he gave me:

6-8 years ago installed a new camshaft ( stock ) and port and polished the head with 3 angle cut valve job (worn cam lobes due to lack of use ) . At this point started to use synthetic oil (started with syntec then bmw oil then luqi moly ) .
04 Radiator
05 Control arms
07 Tie rod
08 Catalytic converter, muffler, o2 sensor, oil pan, oil pump & battery .
09 timing belt & tensioner, fan belts , water pump , coolant flush , distributer cap & rotor ( spark plugs have +/- 3000 miles )

Can anyone think of things I should be on the look out for when I test drive it?

Thanks for any advice you have.

#4 ·
Is it an auto? Smoothness of shifts. Other than that you should be good for another 70k besides regular maintenance. Depends on how you drive and what you plan to do with the car. I drive like an a-hole most of the time so my car requires more attention than others.

Sounds like your getting a pretty good deal on the car, I paid seven hundred for mine and have about thirteen hundred into it. Mine also has like 240,000 miles on it(odometer stopped at 222,093).

#5 ·
my 2 cents worth:

that many parts replaced with only 71,000miles raises a RED flag with me.

The Q. Why replace CAT, oil pump? at 71,000. hmmm. that is not normal. (i know that bimmers have CAT weakness-but definitely not at 71K on a well-maintained engine)

which leads me to think... some major engine damage before 71,000? Nobody but NOBODY changes oil pump for no reason. And plus oil pan, CAT muffler and control arms - that raises an eyebrow(especially if receipts show it was done all at the same time).

i.e. it straddled an island???? maybe....

AGAIN... my 2 cents worth

#6 ·
Thanks for all the responses,

I agree that is a lot of work for a car with low miles, he was either being proactive or there was a big problem.

On the 89 325i I had in collage I did put a 4 inch hole in the oil pan because I pulled too far in to a parking space. for what ever that's worth.

Thanks a lot for your advice and if I get to see it this weekend I will let you know how it goes.

I attached a couple pictures he sent

Attachments

#7 ·
I bottomed out with mine one time, got the pump with the pan so put it in anyways. By the looks of the pics, it looks way to nice to be selling for such a low price. Do you know the guy at all or is it a dealer of somesort?

The control arms probably got messed up when he busted the oil pan.

#8 ·
The car looks like it is in good shape over all. I have to agree with the other guys about the oil pump going. Leads me to believe that the cam issue may have happened because of lack of oil or something like that. Maybe give him a grand for it. IDK, I would have to see it and feel him out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.