BMW Werkz banner

87 325es Coolant Warning Light Stays On

13K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  terriibleted65 
#1 ·
I have filled the coolant to the recommended height but the coolant light stays on. Any suggestions?

...just bought the car this weekend so I am going through the issues I find...thanks for your help and sorry if this is a repeat post as I could not find this topic. - Ted

#3 ·
drain and fill, work?

i was going to perform a drain and refill on the coolant anyways since there are no records on when it was done last...will this likely remedy my 'air' situation?

#5 ·
My e30 had the same issue Normally it is the sensor has gone bad there cheap to replace...

#8 ·
what I do is fill the coolant resevour a little at a time while the engine is just a little bit warm, so that the cap comes off without spraying stuff all over the place but keeping the thermostat open...there's a point in there where you have both conditions...then I top the coolant off a little bit at a time and squeeze the radiator hoses one by one until no squishing sound. I always see the coolant level in the tank lower, then I add more coolant and do it again...eventually the system is stocked......button it up and there you go...good luck....

#9 ·
thanks. i had a complete flush and fill done on the coolant system and I am still seeing the light. probably a bad sensor at this point. will try that.

#10 ·
whatever, the only thing that trips the telltale lamp in the cabin is the cap on the overflow/filler tank.....that's it....try tapping the plunger on the cap and see if doesn't release....just a guess, but's that only thing that triggers that light...now...if the temp gauge runs high that's an issue.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.