BMW Werkz banner

86 325e Transmission

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Kowalski 
#1 ·
Hey guys! My 86 325e auto trans is slipping and makes a gurgling noise when the lockup engages at about 80km/h. I can get a used tranny from an 89 325i non-electronic. It looks the same, the model number is the same, 4hp ZF22 and there is no electronic plug. Can I use it or is there a difference that I'm not aware of? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

#3 ·
Originally posted by e30fanm3@Feb 11 2005, 04:25 PM
it prolly just needs a filter, and that would be cheaper than buyin a tranny, but the late tranny will work although the shift points will be different, but that wont really matter, ive done it before
[snapback]290058[/snapback]​
have you checked out getting it rebuilt? it also could be your torque converter... so unless the new/old one comes with that you might want to get that checked too

#4 ·
Originally posted by Kowalski+Feb 11 2005, 06:54 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kowalski @ Feb 11 2005, 06:54 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-e30fanm3@Feb 11 2005, 04:25 PM
it prolly just needs a filter, and that would be cheaper than buyin a tranny, but the late tranny will work although the shift points will be different, but that wont really matter, ive done it before
have you checked out getting it rebuilt? it also could be your torque converter... so unless the new/old one comes with that you might want to get that checked too
[snapback]290068[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

Thanks guys! I'll try the filter first before swapping it out. The tranny fluid was black and had the consistency of water. I don't know if the previous owner ever changed the fluid.

#5 ·
Originally posted by craaver+Feb 15 2005, 06:57 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(craaver @ Feb 15 2005, 06:57 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Kowalski@Feb 11 2005, 06:54 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-e30fanm3
@Feb 11 2005, 04:25 PM

[snapback]290068[/snapback]​
Thanks guys! I'll try the filter first before swapping it out. The tranny fluid was black and had the consistency of water. I don't know if the previous owner ever changed the fluid.
[snapback]292243[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

hmm sounds like it or you burnt the clutches that makes it go that color too. the first thing i did when i got my car was all the fluid changed. but yeah good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.