86 325e antenna stuck in the down position - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 06:14 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
scootergirl37216 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Question 86 325e antenna stuck in the down position

how can I fix this?

also, unable to locate the drain plug for the radiator...Blanche needs a flush and fill...I can do this right? I mean I have done so on other vehicles and changed the oil etc on my 77 old Volvo wagon...

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 01:36 AM
n00b

minadoss is on a distinguished road
Well, your antenna being stuck down is a pretty infamous problem with the E30's. You can either test the motor and see if it responds when hooking it up to any 12v source or you can just buy a whole new assembly. If it the motor turns on when tested, then you need a new antenna or see if you can pry it out with something.

The radiator drain plug on that car is on the bottom, driver's side end of the radiator. Make sure the coolant tank cap is open and make sure the car is cool.

Good Luck!
#3 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 07:33 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Red face answers seem to lead to more questions...

sorry to seem so ignorant...but i am...since i don't have a workshop manual.
where is the antenna motor located?

also, i took off the molding just beneath the front bumper (is it called flashing?) to gain access to the underside of the radiator...do i need to jack it up to get to the plug? or can i go in from above? i should probably take a longer look at it next time...

and thanks for the reply!
#4 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 12:21 AM
n00b

The antenna motor is part of the whole antenna assembly if I'm not mistaken. Should be in the trunk right where the antenna does down into the rear quarter panel.

The radiator drain plug is on the bottom of the radiator, So yes, you will have to jack the car up a little and its on the bottom, driver's side corner of the radiator. If you are planning on doing a whole coolant system flush, you will also need to drain the block of the engine, I've attached a picture for you to show you were the is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-E30-coolant-block-drain-bolt.jpg
Views:	1756
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	28524  
#5 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 11:05 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up thanks...and one last question for the moment...

you ROCK!!! thank you so much...I'll let you know how it goes oh, are there any gasket replacements involved when I remove the plugs? just don't want to be in the middle of this and not have what i need...

Quote:
Originally Posted by minadoss View Post
The antenna motor is part of the whole antenna assembly if I'm not mistaken. Should be in the trunk right where the antenna does down into the rear quarter panel.

The radiator drain plug is on the bottom of the radiator, So yes, you will have to jack the car up a little and its on the bottom, driver's side corner of the radiator. If you are planning on doing a whole coolant system flush, you will also need to drain the block of the engine, I've attached a picture for you to show you were the is.
#6 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 12:53 AM
n00b

There is a drain plug gasket that goes on the drain plug for the block, its just an aluminum gasket that they usually have at bmw for about $2. There is also a rubber O-ring on the radiator drain plug, that doesn't have to be replaced unless its cracked or breaks off.

Good luck!
#7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 06:05 PM
1st Gear Member

tim96 is on a distinguished road
hi i just been having problems with my antenna too

first of check the fuse it is the same fuse as the cig lighter think its fuse 20 something.. but check them all just to be sure.
Next pull off the left hand side boot lining. Unscrew the antenna motor box from the car clean all external connections and wires put it back in. If it isnt working now it is probably a problem inside the motor pull it apart and see. Can you hear it trying to work when the radio is turned on? you might also want to check the ariel connections at the back of the radio to make sure the antenna is being told to go up
#8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 01:04 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up antenna vs. radio connections...

you may have hit on something here regarding the antenna connection behind the radio...sometimes my radio signal simply quits....and there is no rhyme or reason to it. it may stay off for days...then again it may resume in minutes. I suspect there is a wiring issue and it may answer both questions.
what can you tell me about removing the radio and what I will be looking for?

thanks bunches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim96 View Post
first of check the fuse it is the same fuse as the cig lighter think its fuse 20 something.. but check them all just to be sure.
Next pull off the left hand side boot lining. Unscrew the antenna motor box from the car clean all external connections and wires put it back in. If it isnt working now it is probably a problem inside the motor pull it apart and see. Can you hear it trying to work when the radio is turned on? you might also want to check the ariel connections at the back of the radio to make sure the antenna is being told to go up
#9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 07:21 AM
1st Gear Member

tim96 is on a distinguished road
hi

have a look at this article Pelican Technical Article: BMW Radio Head Unit Installation it might point you in the right direction on removal and the antenna cable (pictures 6 and 13). Personally I have never removed or wired a headunit simply because I havnt had to yet but the day will come. How to remove the headunit would depend on wether it is a factory headunit or an aftermarket one?
Also try to find the power wire for the antenna (normally blue) if this has a bad connection it wont be telling your antenna to go up which is why it may be "stuck" in the down position.
Please the problem could be just as easily in the boot as behind the headunit i would check both and make sure all connections are clean.
#10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 01:55 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up very very helpful...

having the pictures makes it soooooo much easier to consider...now I just need an allen wrench...my tool kit is not with me right now

thank you so much for your help! you guys have been awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim96 View Post
have a look at this article Pelican Technical Article: BMW Radio Head Unit Installation it might point you in the right direction on removal and the antenna cable (pictures 6 and 13). Personally I have never removed or wired a headunit simply because I havnt had to yet but the day will come. How to remove the headunit would depend on wether it is a factory headunit or an aftermarket one?
Also try to find the power wire for the antenna (normally blue) if this has a bad connection it wont be telling your antenna to go up which is why it may be "stuck" in the down position.
Please the problem could be just as easily in the boot as behind the headunit i would check both and make sure all connections are clean.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)