'85 325e 5-speed manual transmission - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 04:52 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
xyzzy is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up

I have an '85 325e with a 5-speed manual transmission (Getrag 260) which has a problem with 3rd gear: it won't go into it! It started a while back by occassionally popping out of 3rd, shortly after shifting (up or down) into that gear. I didn't think much of it at the time, figuring that I probably needed to adjust the linkage. But then it started to refuse 3rd, grinding as if I wasn't using the clutch. My only recourse (since I needed the transportation!) was/is to rev it up in 2nd and then jump to 4th (and vice versa on the downshift). This is a half-assed temporary "solution" at best, and it really doesn't cut it when it comes to any city driving!

When I got under the car to check the trans fluid (which normally holds ~1.3qt US) I discoved that I had been losing oil from the rear seal; my trans was low by better than a quart! I've checked the manual (Robert Bentley, Pub.) and realize that it may not be the seal, but rather a blocked transmission vent (which could cause a pressure increase, forcing the oil past the seal). Regardless, the fact remains that refilling the transmission did not resolve the shifting problem.

So, I guess the real question is, has anyone else ever encountered this problem? Have I fried my transmission to the point where it needs replacement, or is it repairable? (While 20 years old and in need of a paint job, with only 165k miles on it the engine is still strong and the body's sound! A new paint job and a repaired/rebuilt transmission are still a hell of a lot cheaper than a new car!)

Any first-hand insight will be greatly appreciated! Thanx... Thom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 06:14 PM
Neutral Member

Oxbrain is an unknown quantity at this point
if you double clutch it can you cram it into 3rd? It does sound like something in the linkage from the shifter. I'd say look in the phone book and call your local tranny shop, they could give you the fastest and best answer.

just thinking about all those gears in a tranny makes my head start to hurt.
#3 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 06:17 PM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
mine did the same thing...sliders in the tranny are probably out...check the shift linkage first but i have a feeling its time to hunt for a rebuilt tranny or a low mileage tranny...mine started as just third gone then went to 1st and 3 and then 1st 2nd and third...lol

Good luck

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast Vid 0-70ish
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped*Sold*
1985 VW Scirocco: Too many mods, money pit*Sold*
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
#4 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 03:23 PM
n00b

xyzzy is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Thanx for the reply Oxbrain, but "no," double-clutching doesn't do it! I'm afraid BMDubya's suggestion might be correct: "time to look for a replacement!" Thanx for the responses... I'll let the forum know what was found after I have it opened-up! ghead
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)