84 318i fuel system issue - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 06:50 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
prosavage2600 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to prosavage2600
(Thread Starter)
84 318i fuel system issue

I recently purchased a 1984 318i to replace my other 84 318. I was asking the woman I bought it from what work she had done to it. She said all she had done was replaced the in-line fuel pump.

Here is my problem. The car is hard to start if it has been sitting for over 4 hours. It takes approx 6-7 cranks before it will start. Subsequent starts within a short time will be normal. Another symptom is when the car is on and running a pulsing buzzing and a swooshing sound from the area of the in-line pump can be heard, almost as if there is air circulating around in the line.

I have done the following to attempt and rectify the problem:

Replaced fuel filter.
Replaced in-line fuel pump.
Primed the fuel system by disconnecting the hose from the fuel rail and running the pump till fuel ran.
I have tested the pump relay.

The only system I have not checked is the in-tank pump. Could it be drawing some air somehow?

After the car starts, it runs perfectly fine, no loss of power at any RPM. The only symptoms are the line noise around the pump, and the hard starting.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 07:08 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
Could be there's debris in the tank clogging that pump. Has the filter been changed?

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#3 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 07:33 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by witeshark View Post
Could be there's debris in the tank clogging that pump. Has the filter been changed?
I replaced both the pump and the fuel filter.
#4 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 08:33 PM
OMFG another one!?

witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
Have you had a chance to totally clean out the fuel tank? If there's enough sediment, there's no telling how many filter changes you could go through.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#5 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 08:44 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by witeshark View Post
Have you had a chance to totally clean out the fuel tank? If there's enough sediment, there's no telling how many filter changes you could go through.
Yeah, my next step is to take out the in-tank pump assembly and check that out, while I'm in there ill take a look at the condition of the tank. I was reading online and a noisy main pump is sometimes a sign of a malfunctioning pre-pump.
#6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 09:28 PM
1st Gear Member

vincentmb615 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to vincentmb615
i believe you have to fuel pumps not sure and run high grade also check your rail for leaks
#7 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 11:16 PM
n00b

FatKidRacing01 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to FatKidRacing01
When i got mine, i changed the gas tank and the in tank pump/sender unit due to the same probelms but i was having hesitation startin at 2200rpm. i also noticed over the last couple of months that if i run anything less than chevron gas the car is harder to start (i guess its the gasahol) That ethanol crap is not good for the old electric fuel injection systems thats the only other solution that comes to mind. goodluck and if you have any other problems or if you need parts i have a bunch of stuff layin around
#8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 11:26 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatKidRacing01 View Post
When i got mine, i changed the gas tank and the in tank pump/sender unit due to the same probelms but i was having hesitation startin at 2200rpm. i also noticed over the last couple of months that if i run anything less than chevron gas the car is harder to start (i guess its the gasahol) That ethanol crap is not good for the old electric fuel injection systems thats the only other solution that comes to mind. goodluck and if you have any other problems or if you need parts i have a bunch of stuff layin around
Yeah the in-tank pump is the last thing I have to check. Do you know an easy way to test that particular pump? Im gonna remove it from the tank and take a look at its overall condition, maybe run some voltage through it to see if it powers up. Thanks for your help!
#9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 12:38 PM
n00b

JdmEuroNorth. is on a distinguished road
For the hard starting problem, I'd say it might be the 1 way valve in your fuel line. It only lets fuel go through the line going towards the engine, if it isn't working the fuel wont be held in the fuel rail it will run back into the tank. So that time where you're waiting for it to start(6-7 cranks) your just waiting for the fuel to get from the tank to the fuel rail.

try turning the ignition to the ON position and waiting a while for the pressure to build up. If it starts no problem after that it's the check valve. I forget the proper name for it.
#10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 02:12 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JdmEuroNorth. View Post
For the hard starting problem, I'd say it might be the 1 way valve in your fuel line. It only lets fuel go through the line going towards the engine, if it isn't working the fuel wont be held in the fuel rail it will run back into the tank. So that time where you're waiting for it to start(6-7 cranks) your just waiting for the fuel to get from the tank to the fuel rail.

try turning the ignition to the ON position and waiting a while for the pressure to build up. If it starts no problem after that it's the check valve. I forget the proper name for it.
If I do what you said and let the system pressurize for a few minutes, the car will start normally. Where is this check valve. There are about 5 or 6 little devices on various locations of the fuel line. I'm not sure which one to look for.
#11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 02:28 PM
n00b

JdmEuroNorth. is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosavage2600 View Post
If I do what you said and let the system pressurize for a few minutes, the car will start normally. Where is this check valve. There are about 5 or 6 little devices on various locations of the fuel line. I'm not sure which one to look for.
I don't know where it is, but I'm fairly sure it's in the tank.

if you don't want to fix it then just wait and let it pressurize everytime you start your car, but it's there for a reason...
#12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 04:44 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Ok, I just got back from working on the car. I took out the in-tank transfer pump. I hooked it to 12 volts. The pump clicks, but no whirring or anything that would indicate that it works. I believe I have found my problem. Futhermore, disconnecting the power lead from the transfer pump, it reduces the sounds coming from the main pump. Almost as if when the transfer pump was powered it was blocking flow. I shall source a replacement from the junk yard seeing as to order new would cost over $140. Thanks for the help everyone!
#13 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 05:37 PM
OMFG another one!?

Very glad to see you found a solution!

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#14 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 09:30 PM
n00b

FatKidRacing01 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to FatKidRacing01
Good job man glad i could help sorry it took so long for me to get back to you also i have used a pump off a 97 chevy 1500 with a V-6 (some assembly required but its the right psi and gpm so that would be an easier pump to find again some assembly required interchange is Some 94 chevy-gmc up to 99 i believe has to be a V-6 though also S-10's with the 4.3 v-6 good luck and if you need anything else pm me or send me an email at FatKidRacing01@gmail.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)