84 318i - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2008, 09:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 84 318i
Photos:
cjbbaines1 is on a distinguished road
84 318i

Changed fuel pump. Then fuel filter. Spark plugs,cap,button, and wires. Drove to work, and back home. Next day, drove to work, Then on the way back home the car started to sputter and miss. Then finally died down. After five minutes started right back up. Drove for about five blocks. Did it again. So I took the back way hom creeping. Got home the battery died. Bought new battery and alternator. And even got more plugs for the h#ll of it. Put the stuff on killed a six pack of brew. The next as mention earlier in this story, same s&%t happens again. So after two days of checking fuses and dry rotted wires and cables. I read an forum about a blown dash bulb for the charge light. It was blown and also telling the alternator not to charge. And also had a loose wire that was not making my temp gauge not to work. I replaced the wire and the bulb for the charge light in the dash and $600 later. Good to go. Thank you guys for posting such good info.
cjbbaines1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2008, 10:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car:
Photos:
german-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant future
sorry it killed the wallet, glad to know we helped.

Two wheels or Four, I'm happy as long as the throttle is pinned.
german-speed-demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
my next project is the suspension, maybe take some of the parts off sandblast them and recoat them. or should I just replace with fresh shinny new ones? Holla back
Old 03-11-2008, 10:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Sodium Chloride

Car: 95 M3
Photos:
saltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to saltshaker185 Send a message via MSN to saltshaker185
depends on what you want and what yours wallet looks like... What kind of driving you plan on doing?
saltshaker185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 01:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car:
Photos:
german-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant future
true, it's always nice to replace with bright shiny stuff, but the funds most of the time don't allow that. It all depends,whats your mod plans?

Two wheels or Four, I'm happy as long as the throttle is pinned.
german-speed-demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
I don't plan on doing any extreme driving. Just cruising back and forth to work, and school for my boy. I'm trying to swap out clusters. Can I just get any from a salvage yard til $avings get alittle higher? 84 318i. does it have to be the same one year make and model? the car belonged to my wife. It sat up for about 2yrs. During that time I changed tune-up parts on it on the weekend, while she was at work. She told me to just leave it there, and one day we will put it in the shop to get back to normal$$$$$$$. Ouch. She passed away in 05. So I decided to get back up and running on a budget. so eventually I will replace with new parts, but for the time being. I would like to salvage a few if possible. Hit me back with ideas or comments. Thanks for your help in advance.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Sodium Chloride

Car: 95 M3
Photos:
saltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to saltshaker185 Send a message via MSN to saltshaker185
If you are running on a budget and dont care to have a sportier suspension other then a nice stock one i would look into kyb struts, and reuse the springs on the car (those last forever), check out all your bushings and see which ones are hurting and which ones arent and then replace the bad ones.

If there is a problem with the cluster, lots of times we can help you figure out what is wrong with it and you can fix it yourself. Let us know if that is the case. If you for some reason really just want to swap it out it isnt the hardest swap in the world, but im pretty sure it isnt legal if you are trying to sell the car later on...
saltshaker185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 11:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 89 325i & 82 320i
Photos:
superj is on a distinguished road
your gage cluster probably has all the normal bad solder joints if it jumps or works till you hit a bump and then quits. its very easy to take apart and hit with a solder gun to fix. i had a late 83 early 84 318i and it had all the usual little 318 issues so i have messed with it like you are about to. let me see if i can find any pics for you.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

Car: '87 325es M50tu Swapped
Photos:
gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
Quote:
Originally Posted by superj View Post
your gage cluster probably has all the normal bad solder joints if it jumps or works till you hit a bump and then quits. its very easy to take apart and hit with a solder gun to fix. i had a late 83 early 84 318i and it had all the usual little 318 issues so i have messed with it like you are about to. let me see if i can find any pics for you.
whoah...welcome from R3v or E30tech? i've seen you on there quite a few times...one or the other...lol

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast Vid 0-70ish
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped*Sold*
1985 VW Scirocco: Too many mods, money pit*Sold*
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
gotKRAUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)