83 320I Manual ? about the reverse lights not working please help? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 12:38 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hardy is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
83 320I Manual ? about the reverse lights not working please help?

Hello to all,
1st off thanks to all the folks that helped me on here before you guys/gals are the best. I do need some help again badly my problem now is simple the reverse lights will not come on when I put the car in reverse. Here is what I have done to narrow the problem down. 1st thing I did was look for a fuse blown to the reverse lights could not find any fuse for that (where is fuse?). Next I went under the car and checked the connection on the reverse light switch & it was good and connected. So next I checked the connection under the car & the reverse light switch with a ohms & continuity tester and everything checked out okay showing power. Next I checked for continuity and ohms for the upper wire that connects the reverse light switch which is located under the manual shifter. So I am all out of options please advise me here as to what to check next. Here are some good ?'s for you that will help narrow things down a bit.
Where is the fuse located for the reverse light switch & also the reverse lights? Is there a relay for the reverse light switch or lights? Last but not least has any of you on here had this problem and how did you fix it?
Thanks for all your help with this problem.
Dave

Communication Is The Oil That Lubricates The Frictions Of Life Lets Talků.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 04:07 PM
n00b

Reuvers is on a distinguished road
I have the same problem. I'm pretty sure the problem lies somewhere by the cable on the gearbox going to the stick. Haven't properly checked yet though.

There is no seperate fuse for the reverse lights btw.
#3 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 05:09 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Hello there,
I found and fixed the problem it was the back up light switch which is under the car mounted onto the manual transmission. I got a new switch @ advance auto for $12 and installed it myself let me know if you will do the same I can try to give you some tips as there is not much room to work on getting the switch in and out down there you have to have small hands or be good like me.

What year & model do you have? I am asking because mine is a 320i manual and my stick shift is messed up it is really loose. It does shift the gears okay and go into gears okay but when you go to change gears from 1st, 2nd, ect. it is extremely loose and there is something either missing or not correct please advise me what you think the problem is ?

#4 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 03:23 AM
n00b

Hardy, do you remember on what side of the transmission the switch was? Prefereably state when lying under the car, feet pointing towards front bumper, head pointing towards rear of car.

Thanks
#5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 09:41 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Hello there,
Okay so I attached a link for you to show you the picture and it tells you the location of the switch. I jacked the car up on the drivers side crawled under the car with my feet facing out near the drivers side front wheel. When under the car it is located on the transmission up high near the back of the transmission. You need to use a 19 mm box wrench set or a good wrench as it is on pretty tight. Hope this helps you.
P.S. Can you answer my other ?'s I asked to you in the last email thanks.

Untitled Document

#6 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 09:43 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
When you click the link next click CONTENTS in upper corner then click 061 chassis electrical then find where it says back up light switch removal and then you will get picture and instructions.

#7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 03:02 PM
n00b

Hi mate,

Thanks for the link and explenation of location and removal

As for your question, I have a 1990 325i but I am not sure why your stick shift feels loose. I would try and removing the big gromment surrounding the stick and see if the stick is loose there...?
#8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 03:10 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
No problem that is a nice year to have wish I had one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)