83 320i 5 Speed Question About The Clutch - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 03:06 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hardy is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
83 320i 5 Speed Question About The Clutch

Hello To All,
1st and foremost thanks to all who helped me with previous questions and posts you guys are the best. I am back once again with yet another question about the clutch in a 83 320i how long typically (estimate of course) do they last? I have 145K originally miles on mine now and a lot of parts are originally so I am wondering here when have you other 320i owners seen the clutch going bad please advise me here? I know it is now displacing signs of wear i.e. the clutch pedal having to go up higher in the air before you let out gear another forums said this was a sure sign of the clutch disc plate becoming too thin. However my question is this how do I know when to change it as everything is okay and fine as far as driving and shifting the car/clutch. So I don't want to pay someone to put a new clutch when the old one is still working okay/fine hence why I need some help/advice on here as to when you guys (previous/current 320i owners) have seen the clutches go bad and wear out what mileage. Please advise with any info or help on this topic I appreciate it much.
Dave

Communication Is The Oil That Lubricates The Frictions Of Life Lets Talků.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 05:35 AM
1st Gear Member

tim96 is on a distinguished road
i have only owned my manual for a short time so cant comment on how long they last. I guess it would vary greatly depending on the type of driving you do, e.g stop and go traffic vs long distance constant speed travel.
Yes the clutch pedal having to go up higher is probably a sign of clutch wear, however if it still drives fine i would not be worried about replacing it yet. Eventually you will feel it slipping, then it is time to replace.
#3 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 09:00 AM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
You may already know this, but a good tip is to never hold the clutch waiting in first during a red light or similar stop. This saves the throw out bearing.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#4 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 01:26 PM
n00b

hardy is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Thanks to both of your responses and help to me. Yes I concur with you wht shark a lot of people don't know what you said about the proper way to handle the clutch at a red light fortunately for me I do know not to do that. Well I think I will wait to change it any suggestions on parts to change with it or problems you guys had when you changed yours it would be appreciated. So far what I know is (besides the complete clutch set) input shaft seal, output shaft seal, engine rear main seal, and I can't remember the last one. I am sure I am forgetting some parts that I need to have to complete the job the correct way please advise me thanks.
Dave

Communication Is The Oil That Lubricates The Frictions Of Life Lets Talků.
#5 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 04:49 PM
1st Gear Member

tim96 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by witeshark View Post
You may already know this, but a good tip is to never hold the clutch waiting in first during a red light or similar stop. This saves the throw out bearing.
hmm really i didnt know that, as i have only had my manual for a short while. So you mean instead of sitting stopped with your foot on the brake, trans in first and holding the clutch in... you should have your foot on the brake, trans in nuetral and the clutch out?
#6 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 05:42 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim96 View Post
hmm really i didnt know that, as i have only had my manual for a short while. So you mean instead of sitting stopped with your foot on the brake, trans in first and holding the clutch in... you should have your foot on the brake, trans in nuetral and the clutch out?
Yep

BMW

Sig by zeaq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)