82 320I - no fire while cranking..... - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 06:01 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
millertyme is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
82 320I - no fire while cranking.....

new to the community, and hoping to get some information.
and before you ask, yes i did use the search button. My uncle has an 82 320I that has a problem with fire. while cranking the engine over, there is no fire, but when you first release the key, and then engine is still cranking, there is an instant spark. if i remove the distributor, and turn it by hand, with the key in the run position, there is lots of fire. install the distributor into the engine, and no fire. i am thinking a bad ignition switch, that is preventing the coil from getting 12V while cranking, but i jumpered the coil + to the battery +, but still nothing. any insite would be greatly appreciated, as he really wants to get the car running before winter, so he can focus on the bodywork over the winter.
thanks
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 08:45 AM
n00b

Markdas is on a distinguished road
spark

Are you getting 12v at the coil?

If you have removed the distributor, make sure you have the timing accurate still too!

Have you checked the easy stuff like spark plug gaps and condition, HT leads, rotor arm and distributor cap are in good condition. I don't think you have a crank position sensor on the 82 model???

You may need to re-set the ECU - key in position 1, disconnect the battery for 15 mins, then try again. (I could be wrong as I am referring to the issues I have had on my 87 325is).....
#3 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 02:20 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
thanks for the reply. the cap/rotor and wires are fine, but not the issue, neither is the timing. i am testing with the plugs laying on top of the motor. when turning the motor over with the starter, there is no fire, until you release the key, and then it is only a partial spark. IF, i remove the distributor, and turn it by hand, with the key on, there is good spark on all 4 plugs. then, put it back in the block, and no fire...
#4 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 02:49 PM
n00b

Markdas is on a distinguished road
dizzy

Sounds strange......

So, if you physically remove the distributor and turn it by hand you generate a spark? But with it, fitted into the engine, it doesn't during cranking?

Have you checked your timing belt? Long shot but it may be broken....of the drive to the distributor shaft is broken?

Sounds like you are close to defining the problem is with the distributor perhaps?
#5 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 07:42 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
distibutor turns fine while cranking the motor over with the starter. I dont believe that there is a mechanical issue with that. the only other thing i can think of is that there is an issue with the wiring, that is causing the lack of fire while the key is in the start position. initially, i thought i removed the issue by supplying 12V directly to the coil, but maybe there is more to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)