BMW Werkz banner

82 320i Fuel Pump Problem

4K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  darkhorse737 
#1 ·
I have an 82 320i. The fuel pump does not function. I found no voltage at the pump with the key on. Replaced the fp relay. Still nothing. A mechanic told me that the distributor sends a signal which kicks on the fuel pump and that the distributor needed replacement. Can anyone verify this? Also, can I test the fuel pump with a 12v feed?

#4 ·
Update

So I decided to check the wires going to the fuel pump. I disconnected both wires from the fuel pump and ran a wire to the front of the car from one of the fuel pump wires. Then I yanked the fp relay out and grabbed a volt meter and began checking for closed circuits. After attaching the long wire to both fuel pump wires, I found that all of the terminals in the relay slot were closed in respect to the fuel pump wire(either one). Further more, I decided to touch the vm to ground and suprise, it was closed as well. It seems I may have a short. Am I missing something.

#6 ·
So I decided to check the wires going to the fuel pump. I disconnected both wires from the fuel pump and ran a wire to the front of the car from one of the fuel pump wires. Then I yanked the fp relay out and grabbed a volt meter and began checking for closed circuits. After attaching the long wire to both fuel pump wires, I found that all of the terminals in the relay slot were closed in respect to the fuel pump wire(either one). Further more, I decided to touch the vm to ground and suprise, it was closed as well. It seems I may have a short. Am I missing something.
fuel pump fuses?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.