BMW Werkz banner

325is Window switches

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  fixit52 
#1 ·
1987 325is A/T 2 door
I saw another mail about this topic, and it suggested to use solder to fix the window switch. I did. The switch would not go up. It works great. Very easy if you have a solder iron with a narrow tip. Here's what to do:
1) Read the great article on www.bmwe30.net in the ARTICLES & TIPS section > ELECTRICAL > "Fixing Window Switches"

2) With the switch apart, clean the connection "cup" on the switch body with a knife point or similar... get all (most of) the black (burned) stuff off. The connecting bump (copper) on the back of the button will most likely be clean and not burned.

3) Use electrical solder... will melt with less heat than mechanical repair solder because it has more lead and less tin. The switch body is plastic, so the less heat the better... at least that's my thought.

4) Take the solder iron and put the point next to the "cup" and heat the copper plate until the electrical solder melts when you touch it to the cup. It only takes a drip in the cup, don't over do it... more is not better in this case.

This may sound complicated, but it is very obvious once you have the switch apart.
Give it a try and save some money.

I would think a harder solder would last longer, but I'm worried about too much heat (to melt the solder) on the plastic body of the switch. I'll have to see how long this repair lasts... maybe forever, if I get lucky !

Old man fix it
:cheers

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.