BMW Werkz banner

325i Timing Belt

7K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  stevek 
#1 ·
Hey,
I just bought a 90 325i with 90k. I was wondering how imperative it is to change the timing belt. Also, how much did it cost? Do I have to goto a BMW dealer to get it done? Any info/stories reguarding this topic is appreciated!

Brian and Buddy the Bimmer :driving

#3 ·
I would do it immediatly. That's how I ended up getting my bimmer, I'm a mechanic, and the previous owner didn't replace it. The car has 117K and the teeth on the belt came off. Ended up getting the car for free and having to replace the engine. The head was gone, the lifter towers and cam towers are one piece on a BMW head, so when the pistons hit the valves, it breaks the towers, and the pistons got hit really hard. It's something definitelly worth spending the time and money on.

#11 ·
Before you guys freak the guy out, have him find out when it was changed last. Most BMW owners will have it done every 50k miles so chances are he wont need a new one for 30k more.....The reason that it costs 750 at the dealer is because of the labor. The parts are cheap however it takes a while to get everything apart and back together correctly. In addition you get to see the smiling face of your friendly BMW vampire...err mechanic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.