BMW Werkz banner

325i anti-lock brake light on after jump

4K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  tedd 
#1 ·
Hey....87 325i convertible super sweet :)

Yesterday I left my lights on while at work all day. Realy freakin smart, I know. After work I needed a jump of course, and there were these three old guys in a van in the parking lot and they offered to help. Well, they used this horriblly small pair of jumper cables that was probably for a lawnmower. I noticed the cables smoking a bit during the 30 seconds it was connected....I was desparate though so I let them do it...anyway after the jump I drove away just fine, except now my Anti-Lock Brake warning light is on, and it won't go off. Nothing else is unusual.

What could have happened? Could I have just shorted the sensor or could my ABS actually have been fried from that jump?

Thanks!

#2 ·
go in reverse and slam on your brakes, because brakes are driven and used in one direction, it polishes the pads in one motion. Goin in reverse the pattern is different so they will be VERY effective almost always locking the brakes. See if they just lock or if you hear the pump and vibration of antilock controller trhough the pedal.

#5 ·
or just slam the breaks in reverse. Stop telling him to do stupid shit the stupid way. Can you tell me how to check the ABS relay? I thought not.

#6 ·
Cool it rocket man. What the hell is slamming the brakes in reverse going to do? The brakes aren't going to lock up and whisper to him why his ABS light is on. He wants to know why his light is on, not test his brakes. Give these other guys a chance to get their ideas out.

#7 ·
Ok
lets get this right, you first had too get a jump start too revive your near dead battery. Then you noticed that the ABS light has logged an error with the system.
Well im a Lic mechanic and the first thing I would ask you is that the ABS system was working fine before this incident happened--right !!!!
Ok if it was then,
dont sweat too much, the problem probably lies with the overvoltage protection
relay usually located near the ABS unit under the dash.
Try too find it , and you can use your multi-meter too check it out...

Pls get back too me if you have problems (tabwon@telus.net)
..............Ted :driving

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.