325i anti-lock brake light on after jump - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2004, 12:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
325iconverted is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey....87 325i convertible super sweet

Yesterday I left my lights on while at work all day. Realy freakin smart, I know. After work I needed a jump of course, and there were these three old guys in a van in the parking lot and they offered to help. Well, they used this horriblly small pair of jumper cables that was probably for a lawnmower. I noticed the cables smoking a bit during the 30 seconds it was connected....I was desparate though so I let them do it...anyway after the jump I drove away just fine, except now my Anti-Lock Brake warning light is on, and it won't go off. Nothing else is unusual.

What could have happened? Could I have just shorted the sensor or could my ABS actually have been fried from that jump?

Thanks!
325iconverted is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2004, 12:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Fox

Car:
Photos:
Fox is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Fox Send a message via AIM to Fox Send a message via MSN to Fox
go in reverse and slam on your brakes, because brakes are driven and used in one direction, it polishes the pads in one motion. Goin in reverse the pattern is different so they will be VERY effective almost always locking the brakes. See if they just lock or if you hear the pump and vibration of antilock controller trhough the pedal.

I live my life one quarter mile at a time, and for those 23 or more seconds I'm free.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 12:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
jtorres is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to jtorres
check your fuses. jumping your car may have blown one.
jtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 09:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car:
Photos:
CiscoKid is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to CiscoKid
check the ABS relay
Old 05-15-2004, 03:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fox

Car:
Photos:
Fox is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Fox Send a message via AIM to Fox Send a message via MSN to Fox
or just slam the breaks in reverse. Stop telling him to do stupid shit the stupid way. Can you tell me how to check the ABS relay? I thought not.

I live my life one quarter mile at a time, and for those 23 or more seconds I'm free.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 01:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
heifetz17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to heifetz17
Cool it rocket man. What the hell is slamming the brakes in reverse going to do? The brakes aren't going to lock up and whisper to him why his ABS light is on. He wants to know why his light is on, not test his brakes. Give these other guys a chance to get their ideas out.
heifetz17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 01:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
tedd is an unknown quantity at this point
[FONT=Arial][B][I][SIZE=1][COLOR=red]Ok
lets get this right, you first had too get a jump start too revive your near dead battery. Then you noticed that the ABS light has logged an error with the system.
Well im a Lic mechanic and the first thing I would ask you is that the ABS system was working fine before this incident happened--right !!!!
Ok if it was then,
dont sweat too much, the problem probably lies with the overvoltage protection
relay usually located near the ABS unit under the dash.
Try too find it , and you can use your multi-meter too check it out...

Pls get back too me if you have problems (tabwon@telus.net)
..............Ted
tedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)