325i - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-19-2004, 03:02 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Medivh66 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
hi, i have a 1989 325I with 82k miles on it. with in the last month or so it has become increasingly hard to start the first time of the day, and occasionly when it has sit for a while. It usually takes a long cranking time before it will eventually start (it has never not started). this is accompanied by a strong smell of fuel (im assuming from the cold start valve spraying extra fuel). I recently put in new spark plugs (the old ones showed a very healthy engine). when driving the engine performs normally. also recently a small drip of oil (about one nickle size per day) developed. i believe it to have stopped but it seems to be coming from high up on the front right side of the engine (vavle cover?).

it has been suggested to me that possibly the cap/rotor could be the cause of the hard start. or timing could be off.

any suggestions/comments? the car is going to be garaged for the rest of the winter so i will have time to spend on it.

thanks
- brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 03:44 AM
APS
n00b

APS is an unknown quantity at this point
sounds to me like your mixture is off when cold... an 89 325i shouldn't have a cold start injector (thats an L-Jet and ETA thing)... investigate your airflow meter & your idle bypass valve - could be as simple as a gunged up air-filter!

something to try - pull off the afm & airbox... see if it starts nice - key only, no gas (it wont drive like this, it'll stall as soon as you pump the throttle!)

my gut feeling is that it isnt dizzy/timing related - but i wouldn't rule it out (coil can do wierd temp related things too)

oil leak? high on front of engine? could be valve cover gasket, but if you haven't been fiddling in that area its more likley to be the cam seal

note also, if it is the valve cover gasket, that could impact on starting - it can have the same effect as a mainfold leak - for those who dont believe me, see how it starts and idles with the dip-stick out or oil cap off!
#3 (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 10:12 AM
n00b

Medivh66 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the response ill have to investigate these.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)