325 Instrument Gauges - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2006, 01:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
rfranklin is an unknown quantity at this point
325 Instrument Gauges

I have a 88 325 E30 and while driving my Fuel gauge, Tachometer & Fuel consumption indicator, Temperature gauge stop working but my Speedometer still works. I check my Fuses and they check good and I don't think all the gauges died at the same time any thoughts on what I should check next.

Last edited by rfranklin; 03-15-2006 at 01:21 PM.
rfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2006, 04:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
JoeMadoo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JoeMadoo Send a message via MSN to JoeMadoo Send a message via Yahoo to JoeMadoo
It could just be a loose fuse. I had that problem and wiggling the fuse temporarily cured it. It could also be a loose connection in the back or a fauly SI board.

JoeMadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 07:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
You maybe right it could be the batteries on the SI Board (Service Indicator) because I notice something after I let the car sit overnight. When I first started the engine the gauges work for a few seconds then died but the turn indicators works along with the Fog light, Battery Charge, High Beam, Instrument Panel Lights all works. I'll stop by Radio Shack and pickup 2 AA NiCads batteries and replace them on the SI Board to test if this is the problem or I'll stop by the Junk yard and pull out a SI Board and let you if it works - Thanks.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
77th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via ICQ to 325eXTATIC Send a message via AIM to 325eXTATIC Send a message via MSN to 325eXTATIC Send a message via Yahoo to 325eXTATIC
Here's an odd question... Are the SI boards for E30's all compatible with each other? If I went to a junkyard and pulled one from a 318i or a 325is, would it still serve its function with my 325e? My SI board is BADLY corroded, so I am currently driving without it in my instrument cluster, and so far, no ill effects other than looking at the Check light flash all the time. Oh well, I could just snip the wire to the Check light and be none the worse for wear I suppose, but that would be disrespectful to my bimmer.

Josh W.

Originally Posted by <b>JoeMadoo</b><br>325eXTATIC, you're my hero...
Originally Posted by <b>Moosepuck</b><br>Oh yeah... 325eXTATIC...you're my hero...
Originally Posted by <b>e30dream</b><br>325eXTATIC....youre my hero.
325eXTATIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 11:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
JoeMadoo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JoeMadoo Send a message via MSN to JoeMadoo Send a message via Yahoo to JoeMadoo
I believe the SI board is different between the VDO and Motometer, but I'm no expert. I have a few clusters, the boards are alittle different, as in not swappable. Yea I hate that check light, take the bulb out :-).

JoeMadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 07:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
sick touring is on a distinguished road
gauges

yes all vdo clusters can be swapped but outher makes of gauges cannot be replaced with vdo ect so if you have motomotronic you would have to change it with the same.
sick touring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 08:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 1989 325i Cabriolet & 1968 MB 280SL
Photos:
Raymond is on a distinguished road
Apparently the SI boards do not all interchange. I just bought a new SI board from the dealer. ($145 plus a $25 core charge). When I removed the old one, I noticed that the pin configuration is different. I can't find a brand on the old board. I suspect the previous owner replaced it once with an aftermarket board. The one from the dealer is Moto. I'll sort it out with them Monday.

The symptoms I had were like those mentioned above. The tach was intermittent, the fuel guage would work at first but when it got to 3/4 tank would drop to 0 in about 20 minutes. The water temp needle would occasionally bounce. Finally the odometer stopped turning.
Raymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 10:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: Opening soon:
Photos:
Starmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the rough
Before you tear your dash apart, try replacing your temp sending unit. It's the only single pin sensor and it's next to your computer temp sending unit in the thermostat housing.
Starmavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 09:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Smile Try, Try, and Try again

I replace the Batteries & Capacitors but the gauges still doesn't work. I went to the junk yard and got and Instrument panel for $45.00 and even though it's not exactly like mine I was able to plug in all the connectors. It did the same thing as mine and I notice that my heater fan and AC doesn't works. I read a posting about the same problem and it was his wiring next to his gear shifter grounding out causing the problem so off I go again with Gods help.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Unhappy Kiss

I remove the Gear shift & Parking brake console between the seats and found some wires that was a little pinch but the Insulation wasn't cut. As I check the other wires I thought about what I was told a long time ago about KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid). I thought to start over again with the easy things first so I went back to the Fuses and there it was No.10 Fuse blown I replace it and now everything works. I was told God looks after Baby's and Fools and I'm not a Baby. And about the batteries I found the exact ones at a local place call Batteries Plus.

Thanks to everyone for you help - God Bless.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:59 AM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
techforyou is on a distinguished road
go see the topic a give up too jeepman !
techforyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)