325 fuel tank - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2011, 08:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Bimster325 is on a distinguished road
325 fuel tank

Hello everyone. Newb here, so please be patient and feel free to direct me to the past posts if this has been discussed already.
Here is my story:
Just acquired an '84 325. Car would not run. Starts but dies off right away. Turns out - no fuel supply gong to the engine. I ran diagnostics on the fuel relay and power to the fuel pumps. Relays were fine and once i determined that pumps have power but make no noise at all I pulled them off. Supply pump was covered in crud. Main pump looks clean (inside of the pipes is clean). Turns out both fuel pumps are seized solid - would not even make a click when powered. I am ordering replacements for both. While i had supply pump off, I took a peek into the fuel tank. What a mess.... Fuel tank is full of crud and junk. Looks like the fuel is old too (1/4 tank). I is absolutely disgusting. I am tempted to pull off the tank and give it a serious cleaning. But it looks like i have to remove the exhaust pipes and the drive line to drop the tank.
Am i on the right track? Is there easier way to do this? Does anyone know if it is possible to clean the tank while it is still on the car? Is it worth the trouble? Thanks in advance to all. I am looking forward to the day i can crank up the beautiful L-6
Bimster325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2011, 09:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
abc12345 is on a distinguished road
This article is good for me!!!

This article is good for me!!!This article is good for me!!!
abc12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
squirrl_98 is on a distinguished road
Fuel Tank

There really isn't any other way to get that out of there except to drop all to slide it out like you said. If you do please do your self a huge favor and get the rear camber adjustment kit from the guys in the e30tech.com website. The first page is usually the E30 Rear Subframe Camber & Toe Correction Kit. B/c if you drop that rear subframe like I have to do and don't have a kit installed and you change you wheels to ones with spacers or such you are going to die when you have to drop it again. It is one of the best 150 buck you will ever spend on the car. My bud David Green at Higgin Bottham and Assocs. is welding it in. Sounds like you are going to have to get the tank out with all you access panels removed on the tank and bang it around to break everthing loose and get it all out in the front /back yard at the house. Is the crud/junk rust inside? If so get a new one or a used in good order one from a nearby used yard like Pull-A-Part: Used Auto Parts For Less - Pull-A-Part. These yards are great for figuring out how to get yours out b/c you only have to take it apart to get it out. The gas has probably turned into weed killer or campfire starter, not much other use for it. My bud put his kit in and loves it just wishes he had put it in for the full adjust the other way for more camber adjustment. Any questions email me back. Squirrel
squirrl_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)