325 Compared To Rest Of Its Class? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2004, 12:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Lbtg43 is an unknown quantity at this point
well im about to buy my first car, and the 325 has caught my eye. id like to know how it compares with other cars in its class though, before i make a purchase.

i also like the porsche 944, how does the 325 compare to the 944?

any other recomendations for cars i should be looking at?

my price limit is 5k

speed and preformance have top priority. its hard to find any statistics on these cars(0-60 times etc) since theyre all from mid-80's

how do the different 325 models compare? 325e vs 325i and so on..

were there any major changes made in this class at a certain year that i should be looking for?

thanks!
Lbtg43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2004, 10:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: 1996 328i
Photos:
Aether is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Aether Send a message via MSN to Aether
I also had my eye on a 1987 944 (not S) before I got a 1987 325. Here's why.
My mother made frequent reference to the Porsche's less-than-BMW safety record, which I dismissed as just the fact that people are more likely to push a Porsche hard than a BMW, but still, they're apparently more dangerous. Both the 944 and 944S have 2.5L SOHC motors, the naturally-aspirated version of which puts out six fewer horses and two more pound-feet of torqe than a 325i's motor, which is the same size, but with two more cylinders. The car weighs about 150 pounds more (than a four-door 325). The 944S has well over 200 horsepower and close to 250lb-ft. coming out of there, but if this is your first car, I'd advise you against that insurance nightmare. Turbos are pretty bad on gas, too (specifically when the engines they're mated to are also designed to run without them).

Everyone I talked to on the matter agreed that a Porsche will break, and it will be expensive as heck to fix. I've actually had that exact experience with my BMW, but it wasn't guaranteed to break like the 944 was. I never did get the name of anyone who could work on a Porsche for me, so that's to be considered.

I would've been the first kid I've ever known to own a Porsche, and all my friends would have absolutely flipped out. It would have been pretty awesome, but my (four-door, economy, optionless) Bimmer got just that reaction, too. It's more reliable than that Porsche (which I later found out didn't even make it from the lot to a town 25 miles away), its interior (and, frankly, exterior) are way better-looking, it's a lot less noisy, it doesn't cost nearly as much to own in insurance, gasoline, or maintenance, and it's just much more practical for a high-school senior to own than a 944.

If you or your parents are ready to pay, the Porsche would probably make you look cooler. But that's about it. I mean, look at the numbers.

0-60
944S: 5.5
944: 7.5
325is: 8.4
325es: 9.2

And, for any questions on production or equipment - R3vLimited

Four Five Six - It's on.
Aether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 10:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
catalyst. is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to catalyst.
You sound exactly like me 3 months ago..ahaha (im 16)

These are the cars i was considering:

BMW e36 325i/is
BMW e30 325i/is
porsche 944
Nissan z cars.

all great cars.

After alot of research i settled on a BMW, e30 or e36 as the porsche 944 is as stated before a maintanence nightmare, and the z cars were damn near impossible to find in my area.

I searched for the right bmw for over 5 months, looking for both e30's and e36's and i finally came across the right one for the right price, a 93 e36 325i with 125k on her. picked her up for 4500 bucks.

I was leaning towards the e36 over the e30 most of the time during my search because of a few things.. stronger more reliable drivetrain, its a safer car, and its an all around better daily driver. It doesnt need timing belt changes like the e30 does, or valve adjustments and the like.

Basically what im saying is, go for either the e30 or the e36, i would recommend the e36 jsut because of the things i said before.. but they are both great cars.

also.. just forget about the 944, i know its sexy but as some wise person once said: It doesnt take a rich man to buy a Porsche, it takes a rich man to own one.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
guywithblack88e30 is an unknown quantity at this point
my friend just got a 83 porsche not sure i think it might be a 944 drove it his car is pretty nice, felt a little slower then my 325 thou he still hasn't raced me thou. but he replaced clutch and flywheel oem with labor he payed 826.00

Member of got its raining(in Members Lounge) to 100, 237, 250, & 300 pages club...
Member of 3 Pedel club...
Member of ran away from cop using DRIFTING not speed(ok a little speed)...
guywithblack88e30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 11:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
350z

Car: 03 Nissan 350z Track
Photos:
bigred318 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to bigred318 Send a message via Yahoo to bigred318
325>944

David
Old 12-21-2004, 01:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

Car: '87 325es M50tu Swapped
Photos:
gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
944 = maintnance nightmare...
325 = Slower but that beautiful BMW Tune and durability and cheeeeaaaaaaaappppp parts

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast Vid 0-70ish
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped*Sold*
1985 VW Scirocco: Too many mods, money pit*Sold*
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
gotKRAUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 01:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fox

Car:
Photos:
Fox is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Fox Send a message via AIM to Fox Send a message via MSN to Fox
Quote:
Originally posted by bigred318@Dec 20 2004, 10:43 PM
325>944

David
[snapback]255336[/snapback]

I cant believe you just said cheap parts. Apparently youve never owned anything with a 350 small block in it. Those are cheap (costwise) parts.

The 944 will do much better in solo2 overall and in the end is a much better and more tuneable car. The steering is one of the most precise that you can find and is like an arrow. Even the N/As have good power, though i must say a e30 325 will beat it in the straight.

However, it is a much more difficult car to learn to drive excellently. Similar to old cameros, you sit way towards the back of the car, and you sit so low in the chasis its almost like you are laying in a lounge chair.

The 325 is a much easier and better car for daily driving though. Insurence is better, gas is cheaper (non premium gas), sit higher up for better feel of the road and ride, and you sit RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE CAR. Its an extremely easy car to learn to perfect, however because it has a higher center of gravity, larger tires, much softer suspension, and inferior steering and suspension geometry it just cant outhandle a 944, not many cars can though.

Though the 944 is a superior race car, unless thats all it will be, a race car, Go with the 325.

I live my life one quarter mile at a time, and for those 23 or more seconds I'm free.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 03:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Photos:
Might I add that the 944 also retained a perfect 50/50 weight distribution, which is shared by only a few cars in the world. I think the second-generation RX-7s had it.

Four Five Six - It's on.
Old 12-22-2004, 03:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
APS
n00b

Car:
Photos:
APS is an unknown quantity at this point
its funny how so many bmw 3 owners get stuck on the same hard decision - a poor mans porsche, or a real (6-cylinder) 3-series

i recently bought an e46, the other car on my list was a boxter

my last car was an e30 and i had to choose between it and a 944

944 & boxters are not a 911... sad to say it, but a 944 is even less of a true porsche than a boxter (front mounted in-line 4? WTF?)

granted, the poor mans porsche is still more of a true sports car than a 3 series, but, for every day driving, the differance isn't as big as you'd expect
and a 3 is so much easier to live with - it has things like boot space and a back seat that can fit two half people (rather than one torso only)

and then theres the most important part

both will get you laid

the porsche may get you more offers, but there's only so much shagging one man can do (stuff your friends, thay can get their own car) - problem is, many of the porsche offers will be the skanky disease ridden whores that' you'll need to reject for the saftey of your own genetalia, the BM attratcts a marginally classier form of skirt
:lol:

...i killl me...
APS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 10:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Photos:
See there?
How can you argue with poon logic.

Four Five Six - It's on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)