BMW Werkz banner

Heat Sheild

3K views 21 replies 5 participants last post by  Kowalski 
#1 ·
I am about to get a cold air intake for my E30 and i want to get a heatshield to make it a true cold air intake anyone know where i can get one???

I found one here, http://www.mmsport.s5.com/e30.html, but the only way you can order from them is through outlook express, I dont have that shit. I am thinking about making my own if i can't find one... thanks

#2 ·
Originally posted by Bmw1990@Feb 22 2005, 05:51 PM
I am about to get a cold air intake for my E30 and i want to get a heatshield to make it a true cold air intake anyone know where i can get one???

I found one here, http://www.mmsport.s5.com/e30.html, but the only way you can order from them is through outlook express, I dont have that shit. I am thinking about making my own if i can't find one... thanks
[snapback]297321[/snapback]​
i think like 90% of the people who put heat shields on make their own heat shields so id go with that as well.

#3 ·
Yea I work at a tool and die shop so all the tools are available, I think i will end up doing that. Ill save some money in the process.

#5 ·
thats not for cold air intake people get it mixed up all the time thats just a intake shield not cold air intake a true cold air intake runs under engine behind lower front bumper. still you'll just get a throaty sound but it is a nice sound thou

#6 ·
Originally posted by 87 325iS@Feb 22 2005, 08:25 PM
Too bad it's not going to give you any gains.
[snapback]297371[/snapback]​
I am not trying to get any gains out of the filter. I am not impressed with BMW's design on the stock air box, that is all.

#7 ·
a cold air intake does not have to run down to your bumber so you can hydro-lock your engine when going through a puddle, if you get cold air then it is a cold air intake, which is what a heat shield does, plus it eliminates your intake having to battle with your fan for air, ive actually read a study that said that the air down closest to the ground can be hotter than if you just have it up where it is supposed to be with a heat shield, especially on a track

#8 ·
Originally posted by Bmw1990+Feb 23 2005, 05:05 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bmw1990 @ Feb 23 2005, 05:05 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-87 325iS@Feb 22 2005, 08:25 PM
I am not trying to get any gains out of the filter. I am not impressed with BMW's design on the stock air box, that is all.
[snapback]297939[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]
If you replace the airbox with a cone filter and get no gains, then i'd say BMW's airbox design is pretty damn good. I don't understand what you don't like about it.

#9 ·
Originally posted by 87 325iS+Feb 23 2005, 07:28 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(87 325iS @ Feb 23 2005, 07:28 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Bmw1990@Feb 23 2005, 05:05 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-87 325iS
@Feb 22 2005, 08:25 PM

[snapback]297939[/snapback]​
If you replace the airbox with a cone filter and get no gains, then i'd say BMW's airbox design is pretty damn good. I don't understand what you don't like about it.
[snapback]298071[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

they look pretty damn ugly if i say so myself, especialy when they age... anyways a nice pollished pipe with a cone filter would look 100 times better then the airbox. not to mention you would get better flow into the aircleaner because that little 2 inch hole isn't verry impresive. i just drilled the hell out of the bottom of my airbox, sounds throatier and better flow and im going to make a cold air kit in a month or so.

#10 ·
Originally posted by e30fanm3@Feb 23 2005, 03:57 PM
a cold air intake does not have to run down to your bumber so you can hydro-lock your engine when going through a puddle, if you get cold air then it is a cold air intake, which is what a heat shield does, plus it eliminates your intake having to battle with your fan for air, ive actually read a study that said that the air down closest to the ground can be hotter than if you just have it up where it is supposed to be with a heat shield, especially on a track
[snapback]297979[/snapback]​
technically a cold air intake is not a cone sitting next to engine heat shield or not a cold air intake is even the ones that go thru where high beam went at one time too but a cold air intake is not one sitting next to engine in heat shield reason being is after the engine has been running a long time even the air that comes from around heat shield is gonna be hot with COLD air intake the air is ALMOST always not coming from engine hence name "cold air intake" not "cold air before engine gets hot intake"

#11 ·
if i were and you don't really use ur high beams i would do a high beam cold air intake like bimmin 88 it looks sweet i would do it myself but my angels won't look right if i did that

#12 ·
Originally posted by guywithblack88e30@Feb 24 2005, 01:58 AM
if i were and you don't really use ur high beams i would do a high beam cold air intake like bimmin 88 it looks sweet i would do it myself but my angels won't look right if i did that
[snapback]298273[/snapback]​
yeah iv thought about that i put bosch H4's in the outside lights 75w lows and 95w highs and the middles are still the seal beams and they don't help at all when the highs are on cause they're so dim anyways i guess i could pull one out... but then i would look like a turbo imposter... but the air is still going to heat up through the intake and the throttle body heater and the vacume heaters so really its not going to be that much of a temp change unless its winter which winter is almost over now... anyways ima gona go fix my car.

#13 ·
whats kool bout the high beam intakes is the faster you go the more forced air thats going thru to intake. say if your going 60 you have 60 mph wind coming thru

#14 ·
but you still dont get any power from the high beam intake, i read that it gives you like .01 psi more which is nothing in terms of power. regardless of where you put your intake the air isnt gonna be ice cold once your engine heats up, and its not like an intake is really a big power booster anyways, but a heat shield is the cheapest and easiest way to cool down the air goin in. Plus with my cone filter bolted to my AFM it is right behind my high beam so its not like i would have to move it, i would just have to take out my light. they do sound better though

#15 ·
Originally posted by e30fanm3@Feb 24 2005, 01:36 PM
but you still dont get any power from the high beam intake, i read that it gives you like .01 psi more which is nothing in terms of power. regardless of where you put your intake the air isnt gonna be ice cold once your engine heats up, and its not like an intake is really a big power booster anyways, but a heat shield is the cheapest and easiest way to cool down the air goin in. Plus with my cone filter bolted to my AFM it is right behind my high beam so its not like i would have to move it, i would just have to take out my light. they do sound better though
[snapback]298518[/snapback]​
you could get one of those ebay hood scoops and make it functional they're about a 1 inch scoop nothing too ricy, but if you put a filter on that then you have forced induction on the hood plus a shorter path for the air to run into the intake giving it less time to heat up and better intake flow... just a thought i duno if id like a scoop on it maybe a small revers one... who knows.

#16 ·
Originally posted by e30fanm3@Feb 24 2005, 12:36 PM
[snapback]298518[/snapback]​
the air doesn't get that hot from going into engine if its 0 degrees outside and you have been just driving your car like crazy so where its just above the normal temperture the air coming in thru intake so gonna be hott? also depending on where you have your intake mounted it can be a big power booster thats why new bigger engine cars have 2 throttle bodys(M5) not sure if theres a lot of real cool places to mount intake on these cars but i know plenty other cars you move intake bout a 2inches over and you got a 10hp increase

#17 ·
i dont think thats why they have 2 throttle bodies, but whatever. I couldnt make any sense of your first sentence so im not gonna comment on that "you have been just driving your car like crazy so where....air coming in thru intake so gonna be hott?" i dont know what you are asking

and i would like to see someone's dyno sheet that says a 10 hp increase with just an intake moved 2 inches

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.