218ti engine steaming - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 08:23 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
icaris is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Talking 218ti engine steaming

I turned the heater on the day after I had turned the airconditioner on and before i knew it there was a funny smell and steam pouring out of the vents from under the hood near the windscreen. Stopped and opened the hood to more steam. It seems the radiator overflow in the very front was empty. I had recently been hit in the front. Some one reversed into my front, full steam to escape being hit by a truck at a stop light! the whole grill had to be replaced. Could this have been a problem.

Then this week, someone backed into me again reversing out of a driveway and swinging wildly without looking into my rear left fender, causing some damage to the flap, fender and rear light lense.

Help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 11:51 AM
5th Gear Member

Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough
It seems all of these accidents were not your fault, take it to a garage and have them do a estimate and turn it in to your insurance.

But, from what you are saying, it seems your raidator has been damaged and is leaking coolant, this is very bad because running your car low on coolant will risk engine damage (blown headgasket, cracked head, piston damage)..
#3 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 12:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Rfitz25 is on a distinguished road
Also check the high speed and low speed fans its really tight in there and mine started to rub and broke and froze and....
You can get in from the front and see if they still spin uninhibited.
I still havent fixed my AC yet and its starting to get warm here in sunny SD.
Maybe this summer. I need new fan(s) and compressor at least.
Listen StarMavin he rocks.

Cheers,
Richard Fitz
'87 325is Delphin Metalic

#4 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 06:12 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starmavin
It seems all of these accidents were not your fault, take it to a garage and have them do a estimate and turn it in to your insurance.

But, from what you are saying, it seems your raidator has been damaged and is leaking coolant, this is very bad because running your car low on coolant will risk engine damage (blown headgasket, cracked head, piston damage)..
Do you think it was damaged when the guy backed suddenly and quickly into my car at a stop light, when the mechanic had just dropped me off at work and was driving my car back to the shop! I hardly drove it after it was fixed as I went away to Australia for a month and when I got back it was snowing and stuff and I did not take my car out, got rides!

I am so upset!
#5 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 10:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Rfitz25 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by icaris
Do you think it was damaged when the guy backed suddenly and quickly into my car at a stop light, when the mechanic had just dropped me off at work and was driving my car back to the shop!
That sounds suspicious? But it sounds like something got damaged. Where does the water/steam come from?
Is it the radiator or hoses or water pump or heater hoses?

Cheers,
Richard Fitz
'87 325is Delphin Metalic

Last edited by Rfitz25; 03-06-2007 at 11:00 PM.
#6 (permalink) Old 03-07-2007, 07:32 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
The steam is coming out directly in front of the windscreen from the vents on top of the hood. I think its the lot. The computer might have been damaged and the heat not working along with the air conditioner the next day!! What do you think? Its too much of a coincidence for this catastrophe out of the blue!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)