200,000+ Miles - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2005, 04:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
e30bmwes is an unknown quantity at this point
ok so as some of you know i have a 1986 325es i have got about 201,000 miles on her im starting to run in to baisc problems bracks,shock, stuff like that i just replacesed my thermestate and radiator hoses caues it was over heating not sure if its fixed now but im working on it i also have a acceleration promblem were the car hesitates alittle bit sometime when pushing the gas and it stalls in reverse some times . if any one can help with any of this or give me other high mile tips of stop i should check or replace since it has higher miles now thanx for any help pce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2005, 04:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Teh Peetsa Gai

Car: '86 325es, '87 535is
Photos:
ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute
hmmmm... well, I have the same car. I have only 135K on the clock. I would say everything that is wearable will probably need replacing.
All the fluids.
All the belts. (maybe even the ones wrapped around those beautiful bottlecaps. )
Brake pads, and while you're in there, might as well see if the shocks are still usable. Oh yeah, and see what kind of time you have left on your rotors.
I would take it to a reputable shop and have them do the carbon cleaning thing too. That could help your hesitation problem. Or it could be the fuel filter, a bad spark plug, a bad plug wire, or a bad idle module. Start with the cheap stuff first.

To deal with your overheating, if you haven't seen any results from changing the fluid, hoses and thermostat, you might just want to get it flushed at a shop.
I'm guessing you have an auto, is that correct?

...and the #1 thing you should buy? A Bentley Service Manual. That thing is the Bible for your car.
Good luck, and sorry for the novel.
'04 x3 3.0i: Wife's Bimmer (manual, woot!)
My BMW Blog
ldsbeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 05:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
hey thanx that help alot and i thinck i did fix the overheating problem i just have to it for a nice ride on the high way to see what heppens ttyl bye
Old 08-01-2005, 10:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
filter27e is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by ldsbeaker@Aug 1 2005, 04:53 PM
hmmmm... well, I have the same car. I have only 135K on the clock. I would say everything that is wearable will probably need replacing.
All the fluids.
All the belts. (maybe even the ones wrapped around those beautiful bottlecaps. )
Brake pads, and while you're in there, might as well see if the shocks are still usable. Oh yeah, and see what kind of time you have left on your rotors.
I would take it to a reputable shop and have them do the carbon cleaning thing too. That could help your hesitation problem. Or it could be the fuel filter, a bad spark plug, a bad plug wire, or a bad idle module. Start with the cheap stuff first.

To deal with your overheating, if you haven't seen any results from changing the fluid, hoses and thermostat, you might just want to get it flushed at a shop.
I'm guessing you have an auto, is that correct?

...and the #1 thing you should buy? A Bentley Service Manual. That thing is the Bible for your car.
Good luck, and sorry for the novel.
[snapback]366675[/snapback]
Anybody should be able to do the "carbon cleaning thing" themselves with a can or two of seafoam. I've heard rumors though that doing it in a car with that many miles could possibly just remove gunk that was all that was left to cushion worn valvetrain. Not sure how true that is and I've never had problems myself.

1998 Subaru Legacy Sedan

1996 Nissan Maxima is the girlfriend's car that was glad to meet somebody who knew what "routine maintenance" was.
filter27e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 06:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Teh Peetsa Gai

Car: '86 325es, '87 535is
Photos:
ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute
I was going to say something about a "hot soak", but I figured that if he's asking about belts and normal maintenance stuff, then maybe the idea of pouring/sucking a can of stuff into your intake and then letting it die might be scary to the new BMW owner.
Hell, I haven't even tried it yet. It's on my list, though.
'04 x3 3.0i: Wife's Bimmer (manual, woot!)
My BMW Blog
ldsbeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 05:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
yea i was going to try a hot soak but i dunno it just does not seem like a good idea but i have had this car for like 2 years now but i im starting to get all the money to restore it then start the custom work so im just trying to get as much advice as i can
Old 08-06-2005, 01:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Aznhiga is an unknown quantity at this point
sup people,
yah bout that hot soak thing. I have done it on my 325es which has about 220,000 mile s on it, and it made my car feel better. So far I have ran about 2000 miles and no problems. But my car has never been beyond 3500 RPM, and its checked ocasionally, so I'm not sure the condition of everyone else's car, but hey might as well try something new. Hope that helps.
Aznhiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)