BMW Werkz banner

1993 E30 electrical roof trouble

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  javieruz 
#1 ·
Hi,

got some problems with my roof folding away :( (and it has been sunny in the UK for once)

The roof folds away nicely, and then when the lid closes over the cover, it goes down almost all the way, to the point where it should be puklled down by the two hooks at the front, which then lock the lid down for driving, however the two hooks at the front never seem to come into action, i.e. the roof stops operating before the front gets pulled down.

The whole thing might be a synchronizing job, as the motors controlling the roof have to be in time with the roof position.... but am not sure, does anyone know if this can be fixed , or weather its a dealer job.

Cheers

#2 ·
Originally posted by ijahn2000@May 4 2004, 05:47 AM
Hi,

got some problems with my roof folding away :( (and it has been sunny in the UK for once)

The roof folds away nicely, and then when the lid closes over the cover, it goes down almost all the way, to the point where it should be puklled down by the two hooks at the front, which then lock the lid down for driving, however the two hooks at the front never seem to come into action, i.e. the roof stops operating before the front gets pulled down.

The whole thing might be a synchronizing job, as the motors controlling the roof have to be in time with the roof position.... but am not sure, does anyone know if this can be fixed , or weather its a dealer job.

Cheers
Hi,

I have been working with the same problem this week. There is a lever that operates the wires that are pulling the hooks. The drive arm connected to the lid opener's drive shaft will actually operate this "hook" lever and when turning to the down position it will turn the lever and tighten the wires which then lower the hooks.

You should first check the appropriate motion of the lever by disconnecting it from the lid. First drive the lid open. Then disconnect the drive form the lid by removing the pin that holds the arm to the lid. Then tie the lid up by using rope. I tied the other end to the towing hook and the other to the front of the lid. This is just to keep the lid open so that you can see what happens when you drive the motor to down position. Then drive the motor to down position and check the motion of the hooks. Normally if the wires are too loose then the hooks do not move enough down. Try first to adjust the wires. If this does not work then this means most likely that you have to control the down position by adjusting the motor's limit switch. This is easily done by using a screw driver and turning the screw which is placed in front of the drive unit's limit switch protection plate. This screw is easy to locate cause it has normally red locking glue on top. By turning the screw you actually turn the limit switch so make sure that you do it just a little at a time and then check the motion of the lever. I would not turn it more than few degrees at a time before checking the movement. The drive unit has great power so you can easily damage the wires operating the hooks if you are not careful. Please remember that the movement of the drive arm is controlled by only one limit switch so it is more or less 180 degrees. Do not turn the limit switch too far because then the up position will not be correct and the lid will not open completely. On the other hand if you turn it too much to the other direction the lid will be damaged by the opening arm pushing it too much upwards. Always check the complete motion cycle of the lid motor with the arm in place to see if the movement is within the correct limits. Do this before connecting the arm to the lid.

In all this might sound a bit difficult to do, but it is quite easy to do once you have seen first how the drive is working and figured out what it is supposed to do.

Hopefully this helps you to get back to the Sun :yup

Cheers from Rauma Finland

#3 ·
does anyone know about a place to get some parts for the automatic roof for e30 besides the dealer???

or any sites that describe the synchro-job for the roof (especially how to engage the motors back after i have pulled the little motor disengagement lever thats located in the trunk). i could engage the convertible top motor all the way but when i press the button to open or close the top, nothing happenes. also does the other motor get disngaged after you press the lever too???

any infor about these automatic tops for E30 would be really appreciated!!!!!!!!

thanks!

#4 ·
does anyone know about a place to get some parts for the automatic roof for e30 besides the dealer???

or any sites that describe the synchro-job for the roof (especially how to engage the motors back after i have pulled the little motor disengagement lever thats located in the trunk). i could engage the convertible top motor all the way but when i press the button to open or close the top, nothing happenes. also does the other motor get disngaged after you press the lever too???

any infor about these automatic tops for E30 would be really appreciated!!!!!!!!

thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.