1991 318is - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 02:59 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
woolness is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Question

[font=Arial][SIZE=14][COLOR=blue]

So has anyone ever had this issue before? Code 16 came up on my baby.....I have a dinan chip/k&n intake/remous cat back......when I start my car the idle rev's up and down for a few minutes until it settles, once the car is driving and warmed up I have no problems. She is my black queen please help!

[attachmentid=19262][attachmentid=19262]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	318is.jpg
Views:	706
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	18113  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 12:39 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
I would have a service tech have a look -- too important for guesses

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#3 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 01:07 PM
2nd Gear Member

bad man working is an unknown quantity at this point
Fault code are normally long than 2 digits, but 1216 is throttle switch faulty or open circuit
#4 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 06:42 PM
3rd Gear Member

Kowalski is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Kowalski
Quote:
Originally posted by woolness@Mar 8 2005, 12:59 AM

So has anyone ever had this issue before? Code 16 came up on my baby.....I have a dinan chip/k&n intake/remous cat back......when I start my car the idle rev's up and down for a few minutes until it settles, once the car is driving and warmed up I have no problems. She is my black queen please help!

[snapback]306266[/snapback]
thats interesting i have the same car same problem with 2 difference engines. dinan chip custom cat back exhaust. same symptoms and i some times flash the lambda controll leme know when you figure out whats wrong iv tried just about everything except switching MAF's but i want to just use one out of somone localy so i dont have to buy it if thats not the problem.

M42 Custom ground cams for sale PM me
264* roatation and 388 lift
#5 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 06:59 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by Kowalski+Mar 8 2005, 05:42 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kowalski @ Mar 8 2005, 05:42 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-woolness@Mar 8 2005, 12:59 AM

thats interesting i have the same car same problem with 2 difference engines. dinan chip custom cat back exhaust. same symptoms and i some times flash the lambda controll leme know when you figure out whats wrong iv tried just about everything except switching MAF's but i want to just use one out of somone localy so i dont have to buy it if thats not the problem.
[snapback]306645[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

I'd suggest retrofitting the old chip to see if it makes a difference. I'm
not sure what code 16 is, but if it pointing to the cams, then it is
possible that it is the camshaft postion sensor. I start with the chip
though.

The cold start idle is probably an independent fault - I'd suggest checking,
cleaning or replacing the Idle Control Valve. Also check each and every
vacuum hose around the inlet manifold area for perishing, cracks, etc.

Regards,

B!
this dude is the god of the 318is....do you have time to switcht he chip? I can't seem to find my original.....funny that you have the same problem....send me a pic I want to see it..

Woolness.
#6 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 01:43 PM
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by woolness+Mar 8 2005, 04:59 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(woolness @ Mar 8 2005, 04:59 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Quote:
Originally posted by Kowalski@Mar 8 2005, 05:42 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-woolness
Quote:
@Mar 8 2005, 12:59 AM

though.

Regards,

B!
this dude is the god of the 318is....do you have time to switcht he chip? I can't seem to find my original.....funny that you have the same problem....send me a pic I want to see it..

Woolness.
[snapback]306658[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

no it happend with the old chip in there thats why i bought the new chip but it looks a little fishy the old one... ill take a picture of it tomorrow my gf has my camera i need to get it back so when i do ill get a pic. as far as hoses, all of them are brand spanking new all have hose clamps on them. i rebuilt the whole top end so there is no gasket leaks. however i do have one suspicion. with the new engine my vacume hose of the valve cover seams to build up oil quick (a sludge at the bottom of it) and whenever i clean or replace it its gone. i have 2 valve covers, im just in the middle of pollishing the other one so its nice and shiny but there is a plastic little gasket on the inside that creates a runner so it doesn't suck oil in. if this gasket leaks i will get oil in my lines causing the shitty running. so im just waiting till im done polishing then ill switch them and it should be good to go. if not im going to try swaping out my MAF. i already cleaned my ICV with WD40 and i tried swapping to a diff one i got at the scrap yard but then i realized it had a diff part number but it looks the same and functions the same i dont see why it would be different. anyways good luck to you.
PS: i also changed my engine relays the 3 in the harness. re ran the wires for the ICV, checked-rechecked the ECU, rebuilt the head, rebuilt top end. (warped head and leaky gasket thought it would fix the problem) new cams, big ass power gain but and replaced all hoses. seemed to fix a little bit of the problem but its still there. so im thinking it'l be my valve cover. o and i hate to admit it but i did take it to the dealer 3 times to have it hooked up to the computer but they said the thing was fine and it ran good every time but every time it didn't they just a bunch of fuckups... o and i also changed the fuel pump, and fuel filter. some other things will probably come to mind later but thats all for now...

ps: what did you want the picture of?

#7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 02:15 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Kowalski+Mar 9 2005, 12:43 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kowalski @ Mar 9 2005, 12:43 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Quote:
Originally posted by woolness@Mar 8 2005, 04:59 PM
Quote:
<!--QuoteBegin-woolness
Quote:
Quote:

though.

Regards,

B!

Woolness.
no it happend with the old chip in there thats why i bought the new chip but it looks a little fishy the old one... ill take a picture of it tomorrow my gf has my camera i need to get it back so when i do ill get a pic. as far as hoses, all of them are brand spanking new all have hose clamps on them. i rebuilt the whole top end so there is no gasket leaks. however i do have one suspicion. with the new engine my vacume hose of the valve cover seams to build up oil quick (a sludge at the bottom of it) and whenever i clean or replace it its gone. i have 2 valve covers, im just in the middle of pollishing the other one so its nice and shiny but there is a plastic little gasket on the inside that creates a runner so it doesn't suck oil in. if this gasket leaks i will get oil in my lines causing the shitty running. so im just waiting till im done polishing then ill switch them and it should be good to go. if not im going to try swaping out my MAF. i already cleaned my ICV with WD40 and i tried swapping to a diff one i got at the scrap yard but then i realized it had a diff part number but it looks the same and functions the same i dont see why it would be different. anyways good luck to you.
PS: i also changed my engine relays the 3 in the harness. re ran the wires for the ICV, checked-rechecked the ECU, rebuilt the head, rebuilt top end. (warped head and leaky gasket thought it would fix the problem) new cams, big ass power gain but and replaced all hoses. seemed to fix a little bit of the problem but its still there. so im thinking it'l be my valve cover. o and i hate to admit it but i did take it to the dealer 3 times to have it hooked up to the computer but they said the thing was fine and it ran good every time but every time it didn't they just a bunch of fuckups... o and i also changed the fuel pump, and fuel filter. some other things will probably come to mind later but thats all for now...

[snapback]307268[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

Nice work, sounds like I should be coming to you not to the shit heads down the road from my place. lol. or fuck ups you call them. hahha.
I was asking for a picture of your car and some of your work. I just redid my head gasket too.....So where is a cheap place to buy a chip? I bought my old one off of e-bay, any links to cheap chips? I agree I think my chip is fishie, I don't need anymore fishy, lol.

cheers

Woolness
#8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 10:52 PM
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by woolness+Mar 9 2005, 12:15 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(woolness @ Mar 9 2005, 12:15 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Quote:
Originally posted by Kowalski@Mar 9 2005, 12:43 PM
Quote:
Quote:
<!--QuoteBegin-woolness
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

though.

Regards,

B!

Woolness.

Nice work, sounds like I should be coming to you not to the shit heads down the road from my place. lol. or fuck ups you call them. hahha.
I was asking for a picture of your car and some of your work. I just redid my head gasket too.....So where is a cheap place to buy a chip? I bought my old one off of e-bay, any links to cheap chips? I agree I think my chip is fishie, I don't need anymore fishy, lol.

cheers

Woolness
[snapback]307292[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

well iv dealt with pretty much every M42 problem unfortunatly... umm ill get some picks up next time i see my gf so i can steal my camera back, i have some but they're in the rain... i was talking about my stock chip tho, i dont mind the ebay dinan one, didn't notice big gains, but the cams i did. ebay chips are the same as the real thing as long as you get somone who does a good job of burning them. and im just in the middle of polishing a spare valve cover i had kicking arround so ill throw up some pics of that when its done too. right now my car is getting the bumper repainted some guy hit me in the parking lot.. but whatever i know the guy painting it and its going to look awsome. i also redid my whole front suspension, and in the summer im going to do the back and the sub frame mounts. and maybe buy another E30 shell and drop a V8 in it or somthing like that... we'll see! anytways good luck and ill have those pics up soon heres one in the rain
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	124_2493.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	809.8 KB
ID:	18238   Click image for larger version

Name:	124_2492.JPG
Views:	1811
Size:	900.1 KB
ID:	18239  

#9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 03:11 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by Kowalski+Mar 9 2005, 09:52 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kowalski @ Mar 9 2005, 09:52 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Quote:
Originally posted by woolness@Mar 9 2005, 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Kowalski@Mar 9 2005, 12:43 PM
Quote:
Quote:
<!--QuoteBegin-woolness
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

though.

Regards,

B!

Woolness.

cheers

Woolness
[snapback]307292[/snapback]
well iv dealt with pretty much every M42 problem unfortunatly... umm ill get some picks up next time i see my gf so i can steal my camera back, i have some but they're in the rain... i was talking about my stock chip tho, i dont mind the ebay dinan one, didn't notice big gains, but the cams i did. ebay chips are the same as the real thing as long as you get somone who does a good job of burning them. and im just in the middle of polishing a spare valve cover i had kicking arround so ill throw up some pics of that when its done too. right now my car is getting the bumper repainted some guy hit me in the parking lot.. but whatever i know the guy painting it and its going to look awsome. i also redid my whole front suspension, and in the summer im going to do the back and the sub frame mounts. and maybe buy another E30 shell and drop a V8 in it or somthing like that... we'll see! anytways good luck and ill have those pics up soon heres one in the rain
[snapback]307621[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

That’s sweet man.....thanks for your help....I have been reading about dropping a Toyota supra turbo engine and trans in the 318is...this company out of California does it including shipping and everything for 10 000. 260-280 base then you can play with the turbo too 600+ which is crazy.....breaks as well, cus you will need to stop at with that shita.....
As for the chip I think I am going to rip one off e-bay....
So tell me more about the cams...how much power did you see....more then the chip gave the car....did you get much torque?...how much did it all cost and is it even worth the effort.
I love the four banger, but the noise is louder on the highway due to the remous....buzzzzzzz...other then that I love it....not tuned as well as BMW one....
So I need some rims for the car, do you know anyone selling cheap rims? speaking of did you lower your car and inch cuz it looks great. If so what did you use H&R?
I think that’s cool that you have the same car as me, including colour...what is your MSN we should talk.
So you must have the limited slip? A/C? Which is the only two I don’t have….I saw the slip in eBay but read that it is not that amazing, what do you think?
I am up here in the garibaldi highlands and rip up to whistler and Vancouver a lot, so I have been working the steels and ice tires....but need some 205 45 z17's for the summer sea to sky highway, I am guessing that is what you have...
.I look forward to more pic’s...Yours is a 1991 too? I have 109 000 on mine bought it off an lady that never drove it. Its like new.
Keep in touch. And keep redlining….speaking of I raced a hot rod the other night and killed in out of third….his engine was sticking out the hood…lol….this not my style, but I was late for dinner at my girls place so I thought way not…this was down in squamish, the people make me laugh in the car cuz they looked like there mullets had racing strips on the sides….

cheers..

Woolness
#10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 09:43 PM
3rd Gear Member

haha right on, you should come down here i got a few buddies with E30's! the cams were awsome, i got them custom ground, and i put 215's on it and she can spin them just as easy as the other ones plus the wheels each are 10 pounds heavier and i can take my friends 325ix, so i think im doing pretty good:P if i put on my 14's again i think it would be a ripper...:P yes i have LS and A/c, dischagerged the ac when i swapped engines tho.. the old on blew up dropped in another M42 of a weekend with my brother... i can get the cams ground for you it would b e like 500$ or so can't remember the price off hand, but you still pass air care with flying colors ill pm you my email addy and yes these babys are hot and check out tires-n-parts on ebay they sell sets with wheells got mine for 900$ shipepd with dutty.

#11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 03:50 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
brp,

OK I think I found some 18inch Motegi MR7 Wheels in white with yokohama prada's

(http://www.1010tires.com/wheel.asp?i...wheelmodel=MR7

my buddy had them on his subaru with 30 profile, which will be like a stateboard.

Going to check them out tomorrow in van city. I will send you photos if it works.

thx for the info.

Robertwoolner@gmail.com

let me know when you guys get together, we should talk Beemer.

------

In the attached photo of that black e30-that guy put a V12 out of a 850 in the sucker.
No joke. Could you imagine?

Quote:
Originally posted by Kowalski@Mar 10 2005, 08:43 PM
haha right on, you should come down here i got a few buddies with E30's! the cams were awsome, i got them custom ground, and i put 215's on it and she can spin them just as easy as the other ones plus the wheels each are 10 pounds heavier and i can take my friends 325ix, so i think im doing pretty good:P if i put on my 14's again i think it would be a ripper...:P yes i have LS and A/c, dischagerged the ac when i swapped engines tho.. the old on blew up dropped in another M42 of a weekend with my brother... i can get the cams ground for you it would b e like 500$ or so can't remember the price off hand, but you still pass air care with flying colors ill pm you my email addy and yes these babys are hot and check out tires-n-parts on ebay they sell sets with wheells got mine for 900$ shipepd with dutty.
[snapback]308466[/snapback]
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dream_bmw.jpg
Views:	5008
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	19765  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)