1991 318i Soft Brakes - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2009, 02:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 1991 318i Pretty much all stock.
Photos:
ebrisse is on a distinguished road
1991 318i Soft Brakes

I have a 1991 318i E30

Okay, so yesterday I spent the day replacing all brake pads on all four wheels. I bleed the brakes with my roommate multiple times because the pedal seemed way too soft. It's still way to soft. It used to be able to stop by pushing the pedal like an inch max, now I'm pushing it half to three quarters of the way to the floor! It's taking me longer to stop, plus I'd prefer it the way it used to be.

So what do I need to do? I asked a guy at some firestone shop and he said if I replaced my back brakes that I have to adjust the pedal force or something. What's he talking about? and is that what I need to do? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks
ebrisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2009, 04:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car: 91 318i, 90 325iC, 2004 325i
Photos:
romeomike is on a distinguished road
Some thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrisse View Post
I have a 1991 318i E30

Okay, so yesterday I spent the day replacing all brake pads on all four wheels. I bleed the brakes with my roommate multiple times because the pedal seemed way too soft. It's still way to soft. It used to be able to stop by pushing the pedal like an inch max, now I'm pushing it half to three quarters of the way to the floor! It's taking me longer to stop, plus I'd prefer it the way it used to be.

So what do I need to do? I asked a guy at some firestone shop and he said if I replaced my back brakes that I have to adjust the pedal force or something. What's he talking about? and is that what I need to do? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks
0. What about the rotors? Replace or turned them with a lathe?

1. You bleed from the wheel furthest away from the master cylinder and work your way forward. You have to keep the reservoir filled during this process so you don't let air into the system. There are kits you can buy or make to make bleeding a one-person operation, with opinions split between pushing/pulling fluid from the master cylinder. Search and you'll see what I mean.

2. When you change out the rear brakes, typically that's when the parking brake is taken care of -- perhaps that was what the tech was talking about. The adjustment nuts and cables are underneath the e-brake handle once you get the accordion boot out of the way.

3. A sneaky thief of brake fluid and pedal pressure can be two rubber grommets/plugs that secure the brake fluid reservoir to the master cylinder. Mine had wet rotted, and replacing them was an easy but messy task. You'd think you found a new permanent ink formula.

Hope this helps at least somewhat.
romeomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ich bin der Modifikator

Car: 97'E36 2.8 w/Optional Sport Package
Photos:
johnnyBgood is a jewel in the roughjohnnyBgood is a jewel in the roughjohnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Quote:
I have a 1991 318i E30

Were your brakes soft before you replaced your brake pads? Was the brake pedal low before you started? If so, it could be a faulty brake master cylinder...
if you bled your brakes correctly & there are no visible leaks.....
what happens is.....the seals inside the master cylinder go bad.....& leak past the internal piston.....so when you press the brake pedal, the brake fluid is not compressed to the brake calipers it just flows back into the reservoir.....
johnnyBgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car: 1991 325i
Photos:
hk30 is on a distinguished road
i had the same problem and it was the master cylinder....
Old 05-20-2009, 09:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybayonne View Post
Were your brakes soft before you replaced your brake pads? Was the brake pedal low before you started? If so, it could be a faulty brake master cylinder...
if you bled your brakes correctly & there are no visible leaks.....
what happens is.....the seals inside the master cylinder go bad.....& leak past the internal piston.....so when you press the brake pedal, the brake fluid is not compressed to the brake calipers it just flows back into the reservoir.....
Well, I was thinking it could be something like this... But I'm not sure since it did not have this problem before I changed the brakes. Before I changed the brakes the pedal was stiff and quick acting.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomike View Post
0. What about the rotors? Replace or turned them with a lathe?

1. You bleed from the wheel furthest away from the master cylinder and work your way forward. You have to keep the reservoir filled during this process so you don't let air into the system. There are kits you can buy or make to make bleeding a one-person operation, with opinions split between pushing/pulling fluid from the master cylinder. Search and you'll see what I mean.

2. When you change out the rear brakes, typically that's when the parking brake is taken care of -- perhaps that was what the tech was talking about. The adjustment nuts and cables are underneath the e-brake handle once you get the accordion boot out of the way.

3. A sneaky thief of brake fluid and pedal pressure can be two rubber grommets/plugs that secure the brake fluid reservoir to the master cylinder. Mine had wet rotted, and replacing them was an easy but messy task. You'd think you found a new permanent ink formula.

Hope this helps at least somewhat.
Will I be able to see it leaking around those grommets/plugs? Or do I just need to replace them and hope for the best?
Old 05-20-2009, 10:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car: 91 318i, 90 325iC, 2004 325i
Photos:
romeomike is on a distinguished road
Post My .02

Quote:
Will I be able to see it leaking around those grommets/plugs? Or do I just need to replace them and hope for the best?
Q1: Yes.

Q2: My originals lasted 17 years before losing it. If you decide to go for the swap the part number is 34311160133. Dealership price was $22 for the pair -- pelicanparts.com sells them for $3 each.

Some helpful hints on removal. Use a turkey baster to draw the brake fluid out of the reservoir. Wear waterproof gloves as the "ink" created by the rubber and brake fluid is a pain to clean up. Avoid getting brake fluid on your paint (standard warning).
romeomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 02:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
jbaldwin11 is on a distinguished road
its the master i went through the same thing
jbaldwin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 1987 325e that needs TLC
Photos:
ScottinAZ is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to ScottinAZ
definitely sounds like a bypassing master cylinder. My 325 had the same issues when I bought it. PO swore the pads were shot, ended up being the 22yr old master was shot.
ScottinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)