1988 325is idle issues! HELP! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 03:09 PM
1st Gear Member
 
325isBMW1988's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New England
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
325isBMW1988 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 325isBMW1988
(Thread Starter)
Exclamation 1988 325is idle issues! HELP!

It seems like after a long drive if I stop and go into a store and then restart it the engine struggles to stay running. It starts no problems but goes "vroom" (then rpm goes down like engine cuts off from gas) then "vroom" and repeats that until it shuts off. And if I apply the gas sometimes it will rev up and sometimes it sounds like it will shut off. After a few minutes of reving and restarting it idles fine and drives like nothing was ever wrong! I did just replace the fuel pump but i dont see how that could be the problem. Can someone try and help me narrow it down to what the problem is?????
325isBMW1988 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 01:17 PM
1st Gear Member
 
325isBMW1988's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New England
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
325isBMW1988 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 325isBMW1988
(Thread Starter)
Anyone!?

no one knows whats happening to my poor E30?
325isBMW1988 is offline  
#3 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 01:44 PM
Help from over the pond
 
marti5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: IPSWICH. U.K.
Posts: 3,242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
marti5 is on a distinguished road
One part for that then; MAF, thats what I would go for, easy DIY but do get one from BMW a little more cost, less heartahe later.

VELVET BLUE UK INDIVIDUAL , IM THE LAST
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
marti5 is offline  
#4 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 04:18 PM
1st Gear Member
 
325isBMW1988's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New England
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
325isBMW1988 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 325isBMW1988
(Thread Starter)
Maf?
325isBMW1988 is offline  
#5 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 04:20 PM
1st Gear Member
 
325isBMW1988's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New England
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
325isBMW1988 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 325isBMW1988
(Thread Starter)
wait Mass Air Flow?
325isBMW1988 is offline  
#6 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 04:39 PM
Im Bluffin With My Muffin
 
AlpineSixAndSeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 5,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to AlpineSixAndSeven
.... MAF doesn't appy to your car... you have a AFM (Air Flow Meter...)
Hows your MPG?
HowsDoes the car feel when it is warmed up?

It could be Leaky injectors Cold start injector or the tempature Sensor...

1991 Ford Taurs SHO 5 Speed White on Tan
1996 Chevy Lumina LTZ Rep 3.4L
1992 318i Coupe parts car
1992 325i Ls1 swap with a T56 6 speed 12.2 quarter mile
1976 Mercedes Benz 300D with a Ford 5.0L Fuel Injected soon to be Modded
I am Captain Obvious
AlpineSixAndSeven is offline  
#7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 06:48 PM
1st Gear Member
 
325isBMW1988's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New England
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
325isBMW1988 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 325isBMW1988
(Thread Starter)
Arrow

after it goes through the erratic idle for a few minutes or so, it idles and runs like nothing ever happened. I took off the intake housing and cleaned off the Air Flow Sensor even though it looked clean. while it was off (both air filter and Air Flow Sensor) i started my car and it ran exactly the same as it would with the filter and sensor plugged in. so im thinking it could be the sensor.

And i wouldn't even know how to check the injectors, cold start injector, or the temperature sensor to see if they are fine
325isBMW1988 is offline  
#8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 07:14 PM
1st Gear Member
 
325isBMW1988's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New England
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
325isBMW1988 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 325isBMW1988
(Thread Starter)
i unplugged and cleaned out my VERY dirty idle control valve and that seemed to cure the problem but we'll have to see after a long drive!
325isBMW1988 is offline  
#9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 10:40 PM
2nd Gear Member
 
DIRTE30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Elizabethtown, KY
Posts: 393
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to DIRTE30
Since this happens after a long drive (hot), I might suggest that you may be experiencing vapor lock in the fuel lines... especially if you just replaced the fuel pump... the new pump may have a bad check valve allowing the fuel pressure that should be built up in the injector rail to bleed back to the tank. If that happens and it is hot under the hood you will have a pressurized gas inside the fuel lines and it will be difficult for the liquid gasoline to get back up to the injectors. Has it been a little long cranking when it's cold as well? If so, next time you go to start it cold, turn the ignition on and of about 3 or 4 times and see if it starts up real quick that time. That will run the fuel pump prime sequence several times and re pressurize the fuel system that had previously bled off, if that is the cause. The other issue could be the fuel pressure regulator. You can test it fairly easily by pulling the vacuum line on and off of it while its idleing. You must put your finger over the vacuum line immediately upon removing it or it will cause the motor to stumble. If removing the vacuum from the FPR has no effect on the engine, you could use a new one.

Good luck... I hope the IAC valve was the issue.
DIRTE30 is offline  
#10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 10:06 PM
1st Gear Member
 
325isBMW1988's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New England
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
325isBMW1988 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 325isBMW1988
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSixAndSeven View Post
.... MAF doesn't appy to your car... you have a AFM (Air Flow Meter...)
Hows your MPG?
HowsDoes the car feel when it is warmed up?

It could be Leaky injectors Cold start injector or the tempature Sensor...
Before I replaced the fuel pump my OBC was saying 33 mpg and now it's reading 29 mpg. any idea why? and cleaning the AFM seemed to help a little and it has been running better (only idled weird one time). gas mileage has me puzzled though.
325isBMW1988 is offline  
#11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 10:08 PM
1st Gear Member
 
325isBMW1988's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New England
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
325isBMW1988 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 325isBMW1988
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRTE30 View Post
Since this happens after a long drive (hot), I might suggest that you may be experiencing vapor lock in the fuel lines... especially if you just replaced the fuel pump... the new pump may have a bad check valve allowing the fuel pressure that should be built up in the injector rail to bleed back to the tank. If that happens and it is hot under the hood you will have a pressurized gas inside the fuel lines and it will be difficult for the liquid gasoline to get back up to the injectors. Has it been a little long cranking when it's cold as well? If so, next time you go to start it cold, turn the ignition on and of about 3 or 4 times and see if it starts up real quick that time. That will run the fuel pump prime sequence several times and re pressurize the fuel system that had previously bled off, if that is the cause. The other issue could be the fuel pressure regulator. You can test it fairly easily by pulling the vacuum line on and off of it while its idleing. You must put your finger over the vacuum line immediately upon removing it or it will cause the motor to stumble. If removing the vacuum from the FPR has no effect on the engine, you could use a new one.

Good luck... I hope the IAC valve was the issue.
Ill try checking the FPR as soon as I can and I'll let you know how that turns out. Thanks for all the help guys! hopefully it just badly needs a tune-up!
325isBMW1988 is offline  
#12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 02:04 PM
Neutral Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: dallas
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
pinnaclebass is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to pinnaclebass Send a message via Yahoo to pinnaclebass
has this worked out?
pinnaclebass is offline  
#13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 07:44 PM
1st Gear Member
 
325isBMW1988's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New England
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
325isBMW1988 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 325isBMW1988
(Thread Starter)
i never check the FPR but it has been running good ever since i took off my throttle body and cleaned it all out. HOWEVER, my gas mileage went from 33+ mpg to 27.6 mpg! so i dont quite know why this happened...
325isBMW1988 is offline  
#14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 08:35 PM
1st Gear Member
 
chinonca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
chinonca is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325isBMW1988 View Post
It seems like after a long drive if I stop and go into a store and then restart it the engine struggles to stay running. It starts no problems but goes "vroom" (then rpm goes down like engine cuts off from gas) then "vroom" and repeats that until it shuts off. And if I apply the gas sometimes it will rev up and sometimes it sounds like it will shut off. After a few minutes of reving and restarting it idles fine and drives like nothing was ever wrong! I did just replace the fuel pump but i dont see how that could be the problem. Can someone try and help me narrow it down to what the problem is?????
Check for vacuum leaks!
chinonca is offline  
#15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 12:55 AM
1st Gear Member
 
325isBMW1988's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New England
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
325isBMW1988 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 325isBMW1988
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinonca View Post
Check for vacuum leaks!
When i took off the throttle body, there seemed to be a vacuum hose going into it after the valve. The hose on the outside was loose so i zip-tied it tight. maybe that was just the problem?
325isBMW1988 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help! 540 poor idle and maf issues. yrshaik 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) 8 11-28-2007 04:26 PM
Idle Issues atlanticbluem3 3-Series (E36) 5 04-14-2007 09:55 AM
new 520i with minor idle issues Morgenster 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) 5 05-06-2006 08:16 AM
Idle Issues theironm0nk 3-Series (E36) 3 06-12-2005 12:47 AM
Idle issues BlkCofy 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) 3 03-01-2004 08:03 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome