BMW Werkz banner

1987 BMW 325E will run for 3 seconds?

9K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  mantisdrl 
#1 ·
All,
Car starts and runs for 3 seconds on first crank and 1 second on second crank, thereafter will turnover but not start. After about 20 minutes will repeat this cycle but will not start and run.
Tested - cold start injector, fuel pump (relay and filter), checked resistance of crank position sensor and EGR valve all are good.
New coil and battery.
Any thoughts?

#2 ·
Theirs a very good chance you have a vacuum leak. Vacuum leaks are know. To cause numerous idle issues. Check all your vacuum lines and hoses, including the intake manifold. Feel then and bend them because a crack may not be visible unless moved. Check your PCV valve as well because they can become faulty

#7 ·
ICV? Can cause issues when it goes.

#14 ·
If you dont know how to remove the in-tank pump, it can be a royal PITA, but its actually extreamly simple. First disconnect everything-fuel level sending unit, fuel pump itself, and fuel lines. Then about that fuel level sender- if you DO NOT remove this, you CAN NOT remove the fuel pump carrier. Pull the 4 nuts on top of it, and pull it out. Then you pull the fuel level sender strait out of the tank. At this point you can remove the fuel pump and carrier. Twist til it stops and lift out and move it til it comes out WATCH OUT FOR THE SOCK on the bottom of the fuel pump, if you are not careful itll fall down into the tank. Also keep tools away unless you got a magnet. I dropped my dads screwdriver down into mine the other night when I pulled mine. Reverse procedure to install. Also, the fuel pump comes out of the carrier. Takes about an hour at most for me.

#15 ·
Thanks.
Tried to pull it out earlier. After removing 4 screws I was able to twist and pull it up about 6 inches but no matter how I turned, angled or twisted I couldnot get it out of the hole. So tonight I will jump the relay to see if it will pump. If I have to remove it I may have to convince it with a hammer.

#18 · (Edited)
If you dont remove the sender, youll end up with a jacked up one like the one thats in my car that desperately needs to be replaced.

EDIT: you have to twist the fuel pump carrier too. They twist-lock into the fuel tank. Once unlocked, and the sender is pulled out through the top, you can pull the fuel pump out a little bit, then move it til it comes out all the way.

#20 ·
Have you considered getting your injectors cleaned?

#22 ·
1987 BMW 325E will now crank but not start?

Update on progress.
Replaced both position sensors, cleaned fuel injectors and replaced main relay.
Now it will crank but not start. Fuel pressure is good.
I sprayed starter fluid in the manifold and it will run until the fuel is gone. Must be a fuel issue but what??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.