BMW Werkz banner

1986 BMW 325e blowing fuse 9

8K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Lord Vader 
#1 ·
I have a 1986 325e that has a high idle issue. I took it to my mechanic and he found the Injection Electronics fuse #9 blown. Replaced and idle went back to normal. A week later the fuse has blown again. Wiring is aged but unable to find short if there is one.
Could a faulty ICV be the culprit? If so how can I test. The mechanic says the valve is OK. I have replaced the TPS.
Thanks in advance for any advice.:conf:conf

#4 ·
Uh yeah sorry man but there are a few other components that tie in that fuse. You will have to find whatever is shorting out that fuse. You will have to perform test using a Digital Multimeter to locate the source of the problem. (finding the short). Look for somewhere on the circui where you have the least amount of difference. Sometimes the only way to do this is to follow the lines. Below since you asked is a way to check your ICV.
UPDATED BY TSB# 13 03 88 1589, FEB, 88

Special Equipment Required, Fig. 81 :
BMW idle control valve current probe,
Digital multimeter (Fluke 8021B, or equivalent)
Exhaust gas analyzer

Remove idle control valve (ICV) from engine and allow to cool.
Connect ohmmeter between valve electrical terminals. Resistance should be 9 - 10 ohms at 18 - 30°C (64 - 84°F).
Connect the idle control valve (ICV) current probe in series with the idle control valve and the harness plug, Fig. 82 .
Set the multimeter to the 2000 mA range.
Connect the multimeter to the ICV current probe.
Start the engine (oil temperature should be at least 60°C/140°F)
Switch OFF all electrical consumers such as A/C, stereo, rear window defroster, etc.
Check the current reading of the ICV with engine at idle. Values should be:
480 +/- 5 mA 650 - 750 rpm

If the current readings are not within specification, adjust the idle control valve.
Turn the adjustment screw on the side of the control valve clockwise (completely closed).
Slowly open the adjustment screw until the meter reads 480 mA and the proper rpm is reached.
Note. Do not turn the adjustment screw too fast as you can easily overshoot the proper adjustment point.

Connect an exhaust gas analyzer to make sure the fuel mixture is within specification (0.2 - 1.2%). Adjust mixture as necessary, then readjust the idle control valve.
Disconnect all test equipment.
If valve fails to perform as outlined, valve should be replaced.

#6 ·
e30 help appreciated

Thank you for the information. This is a sporatic issue, the car runs fine for a while then blows fuse #9 for no apparent reason, the 1st time while driving and the 2nd time after changing fuel filter while car idling.

Does anyone have a diagram for the e30 that shows all 5 of the grounding points, I would like to check and clean these in addition to the above steps. Thanks again for the help.

#7 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.