1985 325e Questions - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 01:49 AM
1st Gear Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 299
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
offabroadway is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hey everyone. Bought my car, and will have it on Saturday. A 1985 325e, 4 speed auto, 4 door with roughly 235,000km on the clock. Had a couple of questions about my soon-to-be-baby, even though the fellow selling me the car (my dad's friend/mechanic) is fixing everything for me for free.

First, he says it seems to run a little rough when its started up on dead cold mornings. He revs the engine a couple of times, keeps an eye on the idle with his foot for about 10 seconds, and then she's fine. Looking through the service records (I've got everything back to the delivery of the car ) it seems that this was usually a problem. What causes this?

Also, the temperature guage was doing some funny dancing. Car's temperature was actually fine. He figured it was the coolant temperature sensor. (When I say dancing, it was just wavering all over the place in quick succession... not taking wild temperature swings)... think he's right?

Thanks everyone.

<img src='http://www3.telus.net/drewdlespace/bmw/banner.jpg' border='0' alt='user posted image' />
Changed the car's name, now it's - Roxanne -1985 325e
offabroadway is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 12:07 PM
3rd Gear Member
 
Kowalski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Canada, British Columbia, White rock
Posts: 752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Kowalski is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Kowalski
Quote:
Originally posted by offabroadway@Mar 10 2005, 12:49 AM
Hey everyone. Bought my car, and will have it on Saturday. A 1985 325e, 4 speed auto, 4 door with roughly 235,000km on the clock. Had a couple of questions about my soon-to-be-baby, even though the fellow selling me the car (my dad's friend/mechanic) is fixing everything for me for free.

First, he says it seems to run a little rough when its started up on dead cold mornings. He revs the engine a couple of times, keeps an eye on the idle with his foot for about 10 seconds, and then she's fine. Looking through the service records (I've got everything back to the delivery of the car ) it seems that this was usually a problem. What causes this?

Also, the temperature guage was doing some funny dancing. Car's temperature was actually fine. He figured it was the coolant temperature sensor. (When I say dancing, it was just wavering all over the place in quick succession... not taking wild temperature swings)... think he's right?

Thanks everyone.
[snapback]307803[/snapback]
hes probably right with the temp sensor, however it could be the guage itself, but most likley the sensor. as for the rough starts when its cold, its the ICV valve, pull it out clean it with electrical cleaner like WD40 or somthing like that that wont harm electrical but will clean. and then put it back together and it should fix the problem, they seem to build up crap in them over time and stick, if this doesn't fix it, you might have to replace it. however, replace the temp sensor first.

M42 Custom ground cams for sale PM me
264* roatation and 388 lift
Kowalski is offline  
#3 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 12:11 PM
1st Gear Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 299
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
offabroadway is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
ICV valve, I'll check that. When I find it in the Haynes manual. I'm used to nosing around K cars, so this is a little different.

One more question, if anyone knows where to find a stereo wiring diagram for the stock wiring in the dash of the 325... the previous owner took his headunit with him and left a clipped mess of wires (which he found when he bought the car, and he installed his own head unit). Does a good diagram, colour-to-colour explanation exist?

Thanks again.

<img src='http://www3.telus.net/drewdlespace/bmw/banner.jpg' border='0' alt='user posted image' />
Changed the car's name, now it's - Roxanne -1985 325e
offabroadway is offline  
#4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 12:15 PM
3rd Gear Member
 
Kowalski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Canada, British Columbia, White rock
Posts: 752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Kowalski is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Kowalski
Quote:
Originally posted by offabroadway@Mar 10 2005, 11:11 AM
ICV valve, I'll check that. When I find it in the Haynes manual. I'm used to nosing around K cars, so this is a little different.

One more question, if anyone knows where to find a stereo wiring diagram for the stock wiring in the dash of the 325... the previous owner took his headunit with him and left a clipped mess of wires (which he found when he bought the car, and he installed his own head unit). Does a good diagram, colour-to-colour explanation exist?

Thanks again.
[snapback]308008[/snapback]
yeah somone with the wiring cds should be able to help you, or if you have the radio manual that came with the car it also has one in there i believe. if not then the white wire is the power antena, brown is ground, and i can't remember the rest...

M42 Custom ground cams for sale PM me
264* roatation and 388 lift
Kowalski is offline  
#5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 11:14 PM
Neutral Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Olympia, WA USA
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yamaha405 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to yamaha405 Send a message via MSN to yamaha405 Send a message via Yahoo to yamaha405
i dont know if its the same, but for a 84 318i, the wiring colors and stuff can be found at http://www.archercc.net/tech/rewire.htm it tells you how to rewire the stereo, but it also gives you the original wiring colors and what they are first. Chris---
yamaha405 is offline  
#6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 11:15 PM
Neutral Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Olympia, WA USA
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yamaha405 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to yamaha405 Send a message via MSN to yamaha405 Send a message via Yahoo to yamaha405
You said to clean it with wd40. how exactly do you do this. just spray it in all the opening real good? thanks. Chris---
yamaha405 is offline  
#7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 11:24 PM
3rd Gear Member
 
Kowalski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Canada, British Columbia, White rock
Posts: 752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Kowalski is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Kowalski
Quote:
Originally posted by yamaha405@Mar 10 2005, 10:15 PM
You said to clean it with wd40. how exactly do you do this. just spray it in all the opening real good? thanks. Chris---
[snapback]308587[/snapback]
that or soak it in it, either way works it didn't really clean all that much out for me im trying to think of somthing that will clean it better then that.

M42 Custom ground cams for sale PM me
264* roatation and 388 lift
Kowalski is offline  
#8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 12:56 AM
n00b
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
rj7hills is an unknown quantity at this point
Be sure to check the ground nuts for the gauges. A loose ground will cause the fluctuation you describe.

Go ahead and splurge on some electrical contact cleaner for your ICV. WD40 tends to leave a sticky residue on electrical parts - doesn't usually work to well.
rj7hills is offline  
#9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 05:30 PM
3rd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: jacksonville beach
Posts: 577
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
e30fanm3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to e30fanm3 Send a message via Yahoo to e30fanm3
carb or brake clean will work just fine. Its prolly the gauge not the sensor, ive never seen a bad sensor make the needle dance
e30fanm3 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lights Inside The Car Issues, 325e From 1985 Limn 3-Series (E21, E30) 1 09-04-2005 05:20 AM
325e Engine Questions offabroadway 3-Series (E21, E30) 4 06-08-2005 06:07 PM
For Sale 1985 325e Mint Condition!! NCav1203 3-Series (E21, E30) 3 05-05-2005 06:22 PM
WTB: Cluster & Seats for 1985 325e Allison Classifieds Sell & Buy 0 02-03-2004 05:34 PM
Need some info on 1985 BMW 325e Kool_ZX3 3-Series (E21, E30) 4 10-24-2003 11:51 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome