BMW Werkz banner

1984 BMW 325E

11K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  OreoGaborio 
#1 ·
I have picked up a BMW 325E 1984 a while ago. And ever since I have put a lot of TLC into it. BUt it seems like there's a new problem everytime. I changed the muffler, windshield, got a full fluid flush, redid the lifters. BUt one rocker arm is dead and it's making an annoying sound which I don't relaly care about. My brakes are starting to go and I need new pads cause they are squeaking like there's no tomorrow. I asked the previous owner and he said last time he did the timing belt and water pump was 5 years ago. And it's about time I do it again now. I also need a reallighment and new tires. I kinda don't want to sell it because I put a lot of TLC into. But I kinda of do because it's too expensive for a student wallet. What do you guys think? I mean a lot of the mechnaical stuff I do myself but still. Little parts and things here and there adds up. ????

#2 ·
Well, it's an '84 so it's going to run into those 'fix-me-or-die' problems. Can't really change that. Since you're a student and low on fundage I would suggest getting something newer/different/cheaper to maintain. That doesn't mean get rid of the bimmer. If you can, hold onto it. It would make for a great project car.

#4 ·
Welcome will1506 B)

how many miles does it have? if your still in the ~200k range and really love the car then maybe you should hang on to it. the stuff you mentioned like muffler, brake pads, timing belt, fluids, windshield are just maintenance that old cars have that fell on you all at once. if the engine and front/rear ends of the car are still strong then you could either get alot more life out of it, or still sell it while its worth something.

#5 ·
well everything the engine and body wise is still good. it's got 300 000 clicks on it. But I know that for BMWs clicks don't really matter, becuase I know many people with BMWs that has over 400 000 -600 000 clicks, and their cars are still running strong. But I think it'd be an nice project car. And plus, it still moves faster than those stupid HOndas on the street that those kids try to sup up. And it's hard for me to go to any other car after driving a BMW now. If I have to drive any other car I'd rather take a bus.. lol j/j yea I know the BMW pride has hit me. But they give you such a distinct feeling that no other cars do. I could barely maintina this BMW. And I can't afford an E36 any time soon.

#6 ·
Sounds like you're in a similar situation as me, will. I was thinking about trying to find some pos car, maybe an old camaro for 2 grand or something, use that as a daily driver, and that way, that would be the car falling apart. It's expendable, and you can always fall back on the bimmer if you need to ditch the other ride. It really depends on what money you do have, and what's better for your situation. Good luck!

#7 ·
hey, i have an '87 325 and had to do a bunch of work on it recently... if you can do the stuff yourself it'll save a SHITLOAD of money.... DON'T BE AFRAID TO DIVE IN!!!... just learn as much as you can beforehand...

oh, and this is a HUGE money saver.... it saved me about 100 bucks just on parts - www.eurowebparts.com

i got pads, rotors, thermostat, exhaust hanging kit, and a few other goodies from Baviarian Autosport (it's a 30 minute drive from my house) & had them price match this website... if i paid their prices it woulda been about 350-400 bucks, but i only paid 250 for everything...

now, if i brought my car to a shop & had them do all that, it probably woulda been about a grand!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.