17" wheels for 318is - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 10:31 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
jamspeed is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Question 17" wheels for 318is

I am in search of a set of wheels for my sisters E30 318is. I noticed that the 318 has the same 4x100 bolt pattern as the civic. I am thinking about putting 17" wheels on the car, whats the correct offset to look for? Also I noticed that the E30 has a bolt setup to mount the wheels. Is there a way of converting this bolt setup to a lug setup and using spacers if I were to get wheels that came off of a honda civic for instance...Let me know what you guys think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 09:41 AM
1st Gear Member

DJProfessor is an unknown quantity at this point
17's will make it look like it's on stilts, go look around at bmw's on 16's and 15's with a drop, they look damn good. and anyone makes adaptors just need to go look around.

sexually assault a member of the VW community? if you belong to dubdojo or swov.org they will gladly circle their wagons and support you.
#3 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 10:32 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJProfessor
17's will make it look like it's on stilts, go look around at bmw's on 16's and 15's with a drop, they look damn good. and anyone makes adaptors just need to go look around.
what kind of adapters are you talking about? the type that will bolt to the hub then it gives you lugs that you then bolt the wheel to? and then how do i know the offset that i am looking for from the adapter? i know that they make several different ones and they all vary in size.
#4 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 11:56 AM
1st Gear Member

errr my bad i read your question incorrectly.

if you want to run spacers you just simply get longer wheel bolts. go look at www.bmpdesign.com for spacer and wheel bolt combos........they take the guess work out of it all. i don't recommend running studs if you can find a bolt set up that will work with what you are trying to accomplish......and again 17's will make it look like it's on stilts.

sexually assault a member of the VW community? if you belong to dubdojo or swov.org they will gladly circle their wagons and support you.
#5 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 04:05 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
errr my bad i read your question incorrectly.

if you want to run spacers you just simply get longer wheel bolts. go look at www.bmpdesign.com for spacer and wheel bolt combos........they take the guess work out of it all. i don't recommend running studs if you can find a bolt set up that will work with what you are trying to accomplish......and again 17's will make it look like it's on stilts.
any suggestions on where to find 16s for the car at a good price?
#6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 04:08 PM
1st Gear Member

ebay.......or www.vwvortex.com VW's use the same patterns as us, just be mindful of the offset.

or you can browse the bmw forums (do a google search there are a ton of them out there)

#7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 07:46 PM
2nd Gear Member

BMW Lover is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to BMW Lover
yeah i wana slap you for that post, i have a 91 318is and i'd never put 17's on it

^^I want this where I live.

"Drag racing a BMW is like going fishing with a hooker, it's fun but it's not what you got her for..." - M3DUDE

Manual - The transmission hated by moms/wives/girlfriends everywhere...

Member of the "I Owned my Bimmer when I was 17" Club
Member of the "10 Year Old" Club
Member of the "3 Pedal" Club
Member of the "3 Light" Club
#8 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 11:06 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Lover
yeah i wana slap you for that post, i have a 91 318is and i'd never put 17's on it
oook, so y dont u just go ahead and slap all the other guys on the forum with e30s running 17" wheels. even though i dont know anyone on this forum, ive been reading posts for a lil while and come to think of it the august car of the month award went to slowered318...hes running 17s and his car looks damn good too, daxsandman who was also in the runnings for the award also has 17s...i mean gosh man im just askin for suggestions and u gettin all ignorant...
#9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 11:09 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
[QUOTE=DJProfessor]ebay.......or www.vwvortex.com VW's use the same patterns as us, just be mindful of the offset.

QUOTE]

and may i ask what offset im looking for?
#10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2005, 01:31 AM
2nd Gear Member

BMW Lover is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to BMW Lover
well from as long as i have been looking around at e30's there are not too many cars that can pull off 17"s and when they do
they have a killer body kit going down but my best bet for you would be to stick with 16"s get some ronals those are dope rims right there and they are a good company

^^I want this where I live.

"Drag racing a BMW is like going fishing with a hooker, it's fun but it's not what you got her for..." - M3DUDE

Manual - The transmission hated by moms/wives/girlfriends everywhere...

Member of the "I Owned my Bimmer when I was 17" Club
Member of the "10 Year Old" Club
Member of the "3 Pedal" Club
Member of the "3 Light" Club
#11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2005, 09:40 AM
1st Gear Member

[QUOTE=jamspeed]
Quote:
ebay.......or www.vwvortex.com VW's use the same patterns as us, just be mindful of the offset.

QUOTE]

and may i ask what offset im looking for?
go look at vw wheels (stay away from the audi ones) A1, A2, and some A3's (also called MK1, MK2, and MK3) use the 4x100 offset like our BMW's do.

#12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 09:12 PM
2nd Gear Member

egk2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Lover
well from as long as i have been looking around at e30's there are not too many cars that can pull off 17"s and when they do
they have a killer body kit going down but my best bet for you would be to stick with 16"s get some ronals those are dope rims right there and they are a good company
used: There are many e30's w/o "killer" body kits on them that look good with 17's on them.
Alpina Kopis

BBS rgr's.

2.8L M20 Stroker

Last edited by egk2; 10-01-2005 at 09:16 PM.
#13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 09:52 PM
2nd Gear Member

egk2 is an unknown quantity at this point
More e30's with 17's.
OZ futuras.

BBS RS.

2.8L M20 Stroker
#14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 05:36 PM
5th Gear Member

Red_Rocket is just really nice Red_Rocket is just really nice Red_Rocket is just really nice Red_Rocket is just really nice Red_Rocket is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Red_Rocket
i want 17s, but i also wish i had the 88-91 bumpers, damn divng boards

#15 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 08:52 PM
77th Gear Member

325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light
Let me just "Dive In" on this issue...
If you are gonna use 17's you pretty much need to use an H&R Cup Kit to make it look good and still keep it driveable. I don't know what the 17'ers that have been known use... but I doubt many of them would handle quite as well as a Bilstein/Koni shock and IE/Ground Control spring setup might handle... IF and that is a BIG---IF you just wanna look good with no considerations for handling... ROCK IT MAN! If looks are your prime consideration, do what you feel is right, and let none of us "handling before all else" type guys get in the way. I personally rock a set of 15 inch 5 spokes with Kumho Exsta (sp?) on stock suspension and with a G-tech computer I pulled a .92g lateral acceleration! DUDE... You SHOULDA BOUGHT A DELL... Errr... I meant to say... If you want ONLY looks, 17's will do VERY well for you... They DO look good, I will admit whole heartedly, but 16's are the biggest you would want to go if you wanted to actually PERFORM!

Hope this helps you make a good decision!!!

Josh W.

Not currently on the Bimmer kick. Drivin' a 2003 Silver Civic at the moment, but I am STILL the Founding Member of the "325eXTATIC You're my hero" club.
Quote:
Originally Posted by <b>superdeadman</b><br>Josh W. IS my hero!

Originally Posted by <b>JoeMadoo</b><br>325eXTATIC, you're my hero...
Originally Posted by <b>Moosepuck</b><br>Oh yeah... 325eXTATIC...you're my hero...
Originally Posted by <b>e30dream</b><br>325eXTATIC....youre my hero.

Last edited by 325eXTATIC; 10-03-2005 at 10:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)