BMW Werkz banner

umm i dont know anyhting. 318i questions:

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  kylebes1 
#1 ·
well im looking for a car to have fun in... *drift* or mebe rally, lol
i dont know anythign at all about bmw's...
but ive heard they are good stuff..
am now looking at what could be a good deal 1985 318i excellent runner in decent
exterior condition ( faded paint.. needs tlc inside)
well its only 850$ which is a bit less thani was looking to spend , lol but it intrigues me..
if someone could tell me anyhting about these cars id be completely appreciated ^^
alli know : rwd, manual sunroof, 4 cycl. 5 spd.

interesting things for me : handeling, hp/torque, etc.

thanks alot everyone!!!! ( sorry to be a bother ;p )
-keii

#2 ·
Although 318 is a great car, if you are looking for a healthy dose of HP and torque, you should consider a 325i. The L6 in my cabrio produces 167HP and 164 lbs torque. The 318s just don't have quite the power.

However, if you are looking for a car that's fun AND economical, I would say the 318 is a good choice! You almost can't beat $850 anyways, if the damn thing runs - buy it!

#4 ·
sweet ^^ well imma go look at it tomorrow evening and see what shape its in actually ;p -the description was second hand*
but really the way i figure it is iIm not looking for desperate accelaeration so much as a fun rear wheel drive car.. and this one is stylish to boot ;p
so well see what she looks like ^^
- tx again guys~!!

#5 ·
Hey, I actually have a 1985 BMW 318i, haha. So far I'm loving my car. It has the manual sunroof :banghead but thats ok. Some TLC inside would be nice, the outside is really good for how old it is. Very clean paint job. Anyhow, you were asking about its specific numbers? well, in my owners manual it says

Horspower: 101 @ 5800 rpm's.
Torque: 103 @ 4300 rpm's.
Curb Weight: 2394 (with full tank, ready for road.)
Compression ratio: 9.0:1
Stroke/Bore: 2.79/3.50
Turning circle is 32.15 feet, but that seems exagerated...
108mph top speed, haha.
0-50 mph happens in 7.9 seconds
standing start 1/4 mile is 18.3 seconds

I'm not sure what else you want to know, but its a fun car, that handles very strong. Kind of hard to drift in it so far because its got low power, but if you're familiar with weight shifting and whatnot its easy to make it happen then. My advice if you're going to get it from my own personal expierence over the past few weeks, get it - learn to drive it, and enjoy it. I pay 50 dollars monthly for insurance, and it doesn't burn the gas up too fast. Senoritas like it (until they get in, haha.), and alot of people think its a whole lot more than it really is. So if its as clean as you say it is, I'd say 850 for it isn't bad. How many miles? Thats the only concern IMO. I've heard that Cast blocks with slave inserts are only good for like 200k miles, and thats what our cars run. So I could easily say no if the milage was too high. :guns

#6 ·
the 318 are the lightest E30 ever made! It is the perfect difting car you could ever get! who cares about the less power cuause u would make up for it during the turns!!! with a little susption upgrades and nice tires u will be being even the porches!! cheak out this video of this dude with his 318 on the track! at the end u can see him killing this car on the turns. even streightaway it kinda ketches up but once u hit the cornor.. bye..bye!!

you can dowload the video here:
http://www.r3vlimited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic...highlight=video

oo and this is how much this guys 84 318 weighs...
http://www.r3vlimited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8107

#8 ·
that video was only the short teaser.... i couldnt find the full video which is like 10 mins long... I'll look some other time, its well worth it

#9 ·
I have an 84 318i, probabyl exactly the same as the 85, both have the five speed and m10 engine. I think for a daily driver I would rather have a 89+ 325is, but the 318i is a ball when you get in the twisties. I just got new Kumho tires, nothing special, and even with blow rear shocks and worn front shocks(soon to be replaced) I cannot go fast enough to even make the tires sqeel, and I almost made my friend barf.

For drifting, I think that the 318i probably would not really work, unless you put a turbo on it. You see the m10 is so light that the balance is either 50/50 or more towrd the back, making understeer more possible than rear end drift. The turbo would tip the scales toward the front and give you that instant power needed to really break loss the back tire. Because with the stock flywheel the engine wont even rev fast enough to break them loss.

Interior fixs are best done with SPARCO, or Cobra, unless you can find some really good sport seats form the 88+ "is"s or m3's. Or you can custom make a bracket and use none power e36 front seats.

PM or email me if you wanna talk.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.