1 person Valve Adjustment... Ideas? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2006, 10:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
77th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via ICQ to 325eXTATIC Send a message via AIM to 325eXTATIC Send a message via MSN to 325eXTATIC Send a message via Yahoo to 325eXTATIC
1 person Valve Adjustment... Ideas?

Hey all, I am DRUNK so forgive me if I phuq this up...

I am looking for an easy way to rotate the engine to get the valves to the appropriate position for adjustment without a partner...

The pelicanparts.com tech article mentions lifting one or both rear wheels and keeping the car in gear and rotating them until the engine turns over to the right position...

I usually use a 7/8" socket on the crank bolt at the front of the engine, and this works WONDERS other than the fact that it is so far out of reach, I can't rotate the engine, and see the valves at the same time.
Ideas? Suggestions? Critiques? Gerbils?

Werd
Thanks as always!

Josh W.

Originally Posted by <b>JoeMadoo</b><br>325eXTATIC, you're my hero...
Originally Posted by <b>Moosepuck</b><br>Oh yeah... 325eXTATIC...you're my hero...
Originally Posted by <b>e30dream</b><br>325eXTATIC....youre my hero.
325eXTATIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2006, 10:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: '89 E30 w/M50
Photos:
BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BMWJNKY Send a message via Yahoo to BMWJNKY
With the key out of the ignition jump pins 11 and 14 in the round diag connector under the hood. This will crank the engine over just dont do it with the key in the on position otherwise the car will start, also make sure it is out of gear.

BMWJNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 11:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
77th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via ICQ to 325eXTATIC Send a message via AIM to 325eXTATIC Send a message via MSN to 325eXTATIC Send a message via Yahoo to 325eXTATIC
AWESOME AJ!!! Do you know where I can get a pinout diagram of the connector?
Also, is that the same for the D-shaped connector as it is for the round connector?

That is a great suggestion, and thanks!

Josh W.

Edit

I fount a pinout here...
http://www.beckerelectronics.com/BMW...ightreset.html

But I would still like verification that jumping 11 and 14 works on the D-shaped connector, since that is what I have.

Good info and worth checking out!

Thanks!!!

Originally Posted by <b>Moosepuck</b><br>Oh yeah... 325eXTATIC...you're my hero...

Last edited by 325eXTATIC; 04-02-2006 at 12:03 PM.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Photos:
BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute
No I think it is different for the earlier connector but it can still be done with it. I'll ask at work tomorrow what pins need to be jumped in the early connector.

Old 04-03-2006, 09:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
JoeMadoo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JoeMadoo Send a message via MSN to JoeMadoo Send a message via Yahoo to JoeMadoo
Or you could throw it in 5th gear and push it alitle bit back or forth.

JoeMadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 10:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
77th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
The problem is that rolling the car back and forth, it is still difficult to see when the valves are in the right position, and stopping the car at the right spot is kinda' challenging. So jumping the Diag connector is the best idea I have heard yet!

Thanks all!

Josh W.

Old 04-03-2006, 02:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
77th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
just did it the old fashioned way, with a few bloody knuckles, but otherwise successful!

Thanks for everyone's help!

Josh W.

Old 04-03-2006, 03:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Photos:
Well for future reference it is still pins 11 and 14 that get jumped even in the older style connector. Or if you don't feel like doing that and still want to turn it over by hand take out the spark plugs and it will be about 100 times easier to turn over.

Old 04-03-2006, 03:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
77th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Yeah, I pulled the plugs and just reached across my engine bay and cranked the engine over one ratchet click at a time!
I was really making the job MUCH more difficult in my head than it was in real life. My previous experiences had been with pushrod(air cooled VW's) or DOHC (honda, sorry!)engines, both of which are a bit different, although not necessarily any more difficult! I really appreciate you doing that research for me AJ! If any of you happen to stop in Georgia (perhaps for a Nascar race) Stop by in Hampton (about 1 mile from the Nascar track, although not necessarily by choice!) for a beer or 30! Ask German_Speed_Demon, he knows how we like to "tie one on" around here!

Thanks again!

Josh W.

Old 04-05-2006, 07:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Moosepuck is on a distinguished road
Talking

Come on up here for a bit flipper foot!!! I'll refresh your memory on what it means to tie one on....while we adjust my valves, change rear brake rotors, fix my e-brake, and tie up my exhaust of course... ahhh the good ole'days!!!
Moosepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 10:39 AM   #11 (permalink)
77th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
What are you doing next weekend man? I need to do a SCHITTLOAD worth of work on my car soon man, like replace the Control Arm Bushings (I think I want to get a set of Treehouse Racing Eyeball Arms) http://www.treehouseracing.com/home/content/view/13/40/
as well as replace the water pump, timing belt, radiator hoses, thermostat, suspension, tie rod ends, front brake pads and rotors...

What I can currently AFFORD to work on...
Thermostat, Radiator hoses, front Brake Pads, the end!

As for tying one on, I think I might be able to teach you a thing or two these days, although I blame you for my addiction!!!

Werd!

Josh W.

Old 09-19-2006, 04:20 AM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
ricky750 is on a distinguished road
Thread back from the dead!!

I did valves on my IS alone. If ure lucky enough to have a stick then rolling in 5th gear is super-simple. Hands down easiest way. If you're by yourself and worried about vision, just stay close to the head so you can see the cam turning. Open the passenger door and pull, or push from the inside of the engine bay, or just go backwards... there are many simple solutions and the car is easy to roll. Just remember your firing order, and take it one cylinder at a time.

-r
ricky750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 03:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Rfitz25 is on a distinguished road
Last time I just used 2nd gear and rocked it back and forth in the garage.

I'm told its worth getting the spring loaded valve adjust tool 24.95 at bavauto.
This helps get the right tension on the adjusting lobe thing for the right gap.
Myabe I'l get one on my next parts binge, before my next valve adjust.

Also adjust cold then recheck hot?

Rfitz25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 10:04 PM   #14 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: Opening soon:
Photos:
Starmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the rough
Just don't forget, no more than .010 cold or it'll run like crap.
Starmavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 11:55 PM   #15 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
JoeMadoo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JoeMadoo Send a message via MSN to JoeMadoo Send a message via Yahoo to JoeMadoo
thats .01 inches (.25mm)

JoeMadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)