1 And 2 Cylinders - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2005, 06:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Kowalski is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Kowalski
Thumbs up

well i think my 1 and 2 cylinders are running lean... not posative tho.
whenever i start and just let the car idles it idles like crap, and then when i start going it runs like crap until i hit high rpm's and then its like it over comes a barrier and rockets off , and then it will idle fine after that, unless i turn off the car, then i have to do the process over again. its almost like a valve is sticking and i just need to build up enough presure to break it loose. the mass air flow meter isn't sticking i check that, im still replacing a few vacume hoses but i did most of them. im thinking it might be the fuel presure regulator but im not sure. i replaced all the relayes, rebuild the head so none of the valves are sticking. also if i clamp the return line the problem seems to go away for the most part. it has a new fuel pump, new plugs and wires. both 1 and 2 have great spark. when the engines running crappy i can pull the wires of 1 or 2 and it wont really change the crappyness but if i pull 3 or 4 it stalls. so i think either 1 or 2 isn't getting enough fuel or air, but im not really sure which.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2005, 09:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
c'mon people, has noone encountered this problem?
Old 01-26-2005, 09:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Abdul is an unknown quantity at this point
I wish I had an answer for you. I dont have enough experience with the fuel delivery systems on these cars to really be of any help.

It is interesting that it idles beter with the fuel return blocked off.

Does it only idle rough when it is turned on and the water has not yet warmed up? Cause the car does have water temperature sensors that will change the way it idles based on water temperature.

Does your car have tha extra injector that dumps fuel into the manifold when it is cold? If so, it might be related to that extra fuel injector not delivering the correct mixture.

Will it idle better if you dont do the high speed thing, but just let it idle long enough for the temperture to come up to normal, then bump the gas a little to get it off of idle, then let it idle again. If it idles well then you know it is warm/cold related, and not something sticking.

Just guesses, I really have no experience with this exact problem.
Abdul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 10:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by Abdul@Jan 26 2005, 08:31 PM
I wish I had an answer for you. I dont have enough experience with the fuel delivery systems on these cars to really be of any help.

It is interesting that it idles beter with the fuel return blocked off.

Does it only idle rough when it is turned on and the water has not yet warmed up? Cause the car does have water temperature sensors that will change the way it idles based on water temperature.

Does your car have tha extra injector that dumps fuel into the manifold when it is cold? If so, it might be related to that extra fuel injector not delivering the correct mixture.

Will it idle better if you dont do the high speed thing, but just let it idle long enough for the temperture to come up to normal, then bump the gas a little to get it off of idle, then let it idle again. If it idles well then you know it is warm/cold related, and not something sticking.

Just guesses, I really have no experience with this exact problem.
[snapback]280071[/snapback]
the problem happens both when the engine has just been run for a long time and turned off and turned on right away or if its just turned on after sitting. well i dont have the xtra injector i have an idle control valve the controls vacume instead nad its working fine. and iv never had the patience to just let it idle till it warms up. but ill give that a wirl in the morning. but the only problem is, is that it does it with only cylinders 1 and 2... not 3 and 4, 3 and 4 work great which is where the screwy part of the puzzle comes in. but thanks for the advice.
Old 01-27-2005, 01:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
also a new discovery. when its idling rough, the voltage at the fuel pump is about 11.6-12 volts, and when its about to stall its running at arround 9.8-10.2 volts.... now im wondering if there is any relays that are in the fuse box that relate to the fuel pump? cause if they're corroded when i rev it up it brings the voltage up causeing it to run better.... and if they're corrodded then not all the voltage is getting thought causing the lack of fuel pressure causing hte crappy idle and lack of power... so if anyone could point me in the dirrection as to which relay is the one for the fuel pump that would be great! thanks!
mike
Old 01-27-2005, 07:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
its also running lean as well, but i changed the fuel pump could the regulator cause this problem by dropping the fuel pressure too much?
Old 01-27-2005, 09:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
bump
used used used used
its not solved yet so some helpers and suggestions would be apprechiated
Old 01-28-2005, 12:22 AM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Abdul is an unknown quantity at this point
Is the voltage at the fuel pump the only voltage that is low when it is idling crappy? Or, is the actual system voltage low everywhere?

Just a guess but if the injectors are fired electrically and they are not getting the correct voltage to fire right at low idle then maybe the problem is in the voltage regulator?

I don't know, just guessing. Have you tried calling a BMW mechanic, maybe you can find one tthat has heard of this problem.
Abdul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 12:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by Abdul@Jan 27 2005, 11:22 PM
Is the voltage at the fuel pump the only voltage that is low when it is idling crappy? Or, is the actual system voltage low everywhere?

Just a guess but if the injectors are fired electrically and they are not getting the correct voltage to fire right at low idle then maybe the problem is in the voltage regulator?

I don't know, just guessing. Have you tried calling a BMW mechanic, maybe you can find one tthat has heard of this problem.
[snapback]280917[/snapback]

naw i hate the bmw dealers they're a bunch of F_ckups pardon the language, atleast the ones in vancouve are, iv had my car there 3 times and close to a grand in bills and they told me the car was fine and it works great but im almost posative they nveer touched it. bastards... anyways umm havn't checked everywhere but the voltage drops for starting and after a while it picks up cause the alt. charges the battery, all cars do this i only realized this after. also does anyone know if the fuel millage gauge on the cluster is vacume powered? if so where is the sensor for the guage? cause thats my problem if it is vacume powered cause that thing stopped working when i got my problems. thanks
mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)