BMW Werkz banner

330ci Stickshift In Snow

2K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  528man 
#1 ·
So today I got stuck in the snow and there was barely even an inch on the ground. I approached a slight hill and could not move. I tried everything from turning of the traction and trying to start from 2nd and even third but the car would only move sideways. So I waited and finally a cop came and stopped traffic so that I can turn around and go in the other direction. Very very slippery ride home. Anyway I was wondering if this is a common problem in bimmers and is it better or worse if you have stickshift? Was there something else I should have or should have not done?

Thanks in advance

#7 ·
I've got a 328ci stick shift. I've driven in 3 relatively harsh snow storms in Long Island, NY this year. Riding on 17" Toyo TS-1s. Yup, you'd think I'd be sliding all over the place...

But the way I've handled the winter without snow tires is by having two 60 lb bags of sand in the trunk. You definitely need that extra weight in the back for the tires.

But then again, my commute consists of mostly flat level roads. I'm not sure how it would handle hills, but so far, the sand bags seem to work great!!

Give it a shot. Only a few dollars per bag at Home Depot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.